abs pipe to pvc pipe

Old 10-21-08, 11:07 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
abs pipe to pvc pipe

I am re doing my master bath and need to re route some waste lines. The existing pipe is all abs black plastic, the local parts store only carries pvc pipe. I need to know how is the best way to joing the two together? Can I just g;ue the two together or do I need a fernco fitting or is there special glue?

Old 10-21-08, 04:37 PM
There is a special glue that is made for ABS and PVC piping. I would not use it on the rest of the job though. I would use standard PVC glue made for PVC. You could also make the transitions using mission style clamps. I do not recommend fernco's unless absolutely necessary.

Old 10-21-08, 08:47 PM
R
Hey thank you! When I did the demo, some re-plumbing had been done before, where there was fernco connectors as well as pvc couplings joining abs pipe together. And one connection that was abs threaded to pvc threaded pipe. So I thought that i would get the correct info thanks!

Another Question---- Is there a standard rough in for a double sink vanity that is 5 feet long?

Old 10-21-08, 10:55 PM
A standard rough in for a kitchen sink is to find the center, and either left or right to the center mark make your hole for your pipe in the wall. Put the branch of the TY for the vent/drain at 18" and the water lines can be centered with an 8" spread. they should be set at 21" up from the floor. DO NOT put water pipes on outside walls if in a freezing prone location.

Old 10-22-08, 08:46 AM
C
Received 138 Votes on 111 Posts
Randy - The local inspector in my area will not allow a glued joint between ABS and PVC, even if the "right' glue is used. I don't know if that applies where you live.

He told me that ABS piping tolerances are less stringent than PVC and the fit may not be good enough to make a reliable joint using glue.

My home had ABS piping. When I redid the kitchen and bath I used mechanical fittings (unions) to make the transition between the two materials.

Old 10-22-08, 11:11 AM
R
thanks,,,,,, now my question is-do they make a 3 inch pvc union?

Old 10-22-08, 11:15 AM
R
OK I rough in the sink as you stated does the sinks share one drain line in the wall?

Old 10-22-08, 11:26 AM
Yes, you will tie the two sinks to the same drain under the sink.

The manufacturer makes a glue specifically for the use in combining pvc to abs piping. If you wish not to use the glue for this connection, use mission clamps as I mentioned earlier. Using unions in this case is way overkill, expensive, and will only cause problems.

Old 10-22-08, 11:31 AM
R
Thanks--OK I am going to use special glue to change over to pvc and I will use the same drain for the sinks. Again Thanks guys!

Old 11-10-08, 07:07 AM
R
What ar the specs for a double bowl batroom vanity rough-in?

I would like to know the rough-in diminsions of suppply and drain lines to a double sink bat vanity? Does the sinks share the same drain and supply lines?

Old 11-10-08, 11:02 AM
Hi, I am sorry, but I mis-read your post earlier and did not notice you were talking about two lavs.

Typically two lavs will be piped in separately at their centers and at a height of 18" off the floor. If you have already ran just one pipe to the sinks, the split can be made under the sink.
The supply lines are usually roughed in at about 21" above the floor.

Old 11-10-08, 12:05 PM
M
I am in the process of going from ABS to PVC sch 40 in my bathroom. I bought the transition cement and going to use it. I guess you just use the cleaner for both and glue. No purple primer on the PVC? It is a green Oatey's can. Got it at Lowes.

Old 11-10-08, 02:13 PM
Primer, not cleaner, should be used on all PVC joints as specified by manufacturers recommendations.

I am pretty sure you do not use a primer with ABS, but read the glue can to be sure.

I never use purple primer any more, just clear, since the code has been removed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: