Hot Water coming out of the Cold Tap

Old 10-22-08, 03:18 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot Water coming out of the Cold Tap

I have a 12 year old house. I replaced the faucet in my bathroom because it was a single handle faucet and I was getting only hot water. I changed it to a double faucet so that I can get purely cold water if I want it. Now when I turn on the cold water (and its connected to the correct cold water line) I get about 30-45 seconds of pure hot water (that smells funny) and then I get cold water (that doesn't smell funny). Its happening in both my bathrooms and somewhat in my kitchen sink. Is this something I need a plumber to come look at? I'm at a loss.

Thanks.

Tricia

Old 10-25-08, 06:22 PM
S
Did this ever happen BEFORE you changed the faucet? You might try TURNING off the valves down below the faucet in the bath where you replaced the faucet, and see if the problem goes away in the other rooms. If it does then possibly something is wrong inside the faucet. JUST A GUESS, BUT WORTH A TRY.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

Old 10-26-08, 10:46 AM
T
Thank you for the response. Yes, it was happening before which is why I switched out the faucets. It seems to be happening all over the house. Very frustrating.

Old 10-27-08, 08:32 AM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Several seconds of very hot stinky water sounds like a problem with the water heater to me. Call a plumber and let us know what he finds.

Old 11-06-08, 09:34 AM
R
I had a problem similar to yours at a school I worked at. The cold water feed for the faucet was attached to the main cold water pipe close to the water heater. Heat from the water heater was warming up water in the cold water inlet. If we were using hot water anywhere in the school, water to that faucet would be cold. But if no hot water was being used the cold water inlet pipe had time to warm up enough to make the first few seconds of cold water at that faucet warm.

The cure was to move the cold water feed farther away from the water heater inlet. We also installed a one-way flapper valve in the water heater inlet so no hot water could be drawn back into the cold inlet.

Old 11-06-08, 04:25 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I had one worse than that in a rooming house. If I turned the shower body to the right, only hot water would come out of both sides of the sink and there was hot water in the toilet too. I didn't take the job.

In any event, look for a crossover somewhere. They usually aren't used in single family homes. I've seen them in bigger buildings, once in a 19 story office building to increase pressure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: