Leak in threaded end of PVC P trap

Old 10-24-08, 10:09 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leak in threaded end of PVC P trap

I just installed the pvc piping for the kitchen sink drain. The tailpiece connects to the 2" p trap with a slip nut, then the the other end of the P trap connects to the threaded end of a 90deg elbow. The rest of the fittings are glued to get the pipe to the wall. I'm seeing it leak where the female threaded end of P trap connects to the male threaded end of 90deg elbow. I've hand tightened it much as I could, but it still leaks. Should I use a wrench to tighten it up? Or could I use teflon tape to help seal it?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-08, 07:26 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You can try a wrench. Just don't go too hard with it. If that doesn't work, look in the bottom of your trick bag for some JB Weld. That will seal it.

Old 10-25-08, 09:39 AM
S
If you have not used a thread sealant of some type then that's what I'd try first.Tape would be easy.Make sure the fitting isn't hairline cracked and you don't know it and if you use any tools remember that this is plastic and can be broken if you tighten too much or grip too tight with a tool.

JB Weld is fine as long as you never have to take the fitting apart again.I'd try all other options before creating a permanent connection.

Old 10-25-08, 01:14 PM
J
Thanks for your help. I put some teflon tape on it and no more leak. With the teflon tape I was able to tighten the threads much easier! I didn't know a sealant was necessary for PVC pipes - good thing I'm not a plumber!

Old 10-25-08, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I've seen several places where people put a bit of plumbers grease on threaded PVC fittings to get a little better seal. Don't know whether its a common practice.

Old 10-25-08, 04:21 PM
Hello

I have been using grease, (plumbers grease, faucet grease, heat proof plumbers grease), it's all the same grease, for many years now on all my compression fittings, slip joint connections, and trap joint connections. I have never had a problem. When using pipe dope on PVC, it can be binding or create lumpy areas when removed. You need to be sure of the pipe dope/sealant you are using.

Just remember grease lubricates as well as stops small leaks. And only use plumbers type grease, not automotive grease, especially on potable water compression lines.