Shutoff valve handle is missing, what should I do?


Old 10-30-08, 03:46 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Van Nuys, CA
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shutoff valve handle is missing, what should I do?

I was planning to replace my kitchen faucet when I noticed that the cold water shutoff valve handle is missing. Is there any way that I can replace this handle without having to replace the whole valve?

I've uploaded a picture:

I would like to avoid having to shut off the main water since I live an apartment building and this would involve getting permission from the manager and such...

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-08, 04:30 PM
plumbingods's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Manch-vegas, New Hampshire
Posts: 2,182
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you can find the correct handle to fit all will be well, but that may not be as easy as it seams. I would use a pair of vice grips as a temporary handle, unless the valve is no good, in which case you need to shut the main off to replace the valve anyway.
Old 10-30-08, 05:47 PM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,959
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Like so many other plumbing items,these valves are largely imported and the tooth patterns are not standardized.You'd probably have to experiment with handles available around and hope one would fit which means buying handles that don't fit.

Just use pliers or vise grips for now but try as best as you can to not totally destroy the stem.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: