leaky ball valve after sweating

Old 11-04-08, 06:53 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
leaky ball valve after sweating

hi, this weekend I was sweating some copper lines for an added floor heat loop to my boiler. One of the pipes runs through a Webstone ball valve / drain with soldered connections (1/2" copper pipe solders directly to the ball valve).

Now that I have applied water pressure (12 PSI), the ball valve drips water ever so slowly from the shaft. Did I damage the ball valve on installation, get the nylon or whatever it is inside too hot and melt it? Seems unlikely but ...

Are there any options for fixing this problem other than just removing and replacing the ball valve?

Old 11-04-08, 07:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by sbarr11 View Post
hi, this weekend I was sweating some copper lines for an added floor heat loop to my boiler. One of the pipes runs through a Webstone ball valve / drain with soldered connections (1/2" copper pipe solders directly to the ball valve).

Now .......the ball valve drips water ever so slowly from the shaft. Did I damage the ball valve on installation,
You're supposed to remove the guts of the valve before heating it up. You need to take it apart and repair or replace it.

Old 11-04-08, 11:13 PM
S
Aha. The instructions that came with the ball valve said to open it halfway when sweating but nothing about taking the guts out. I just assumed it was all sealed up so never considered taking it apart.

But your post prompted me to look at the valve more carefully. There is a nut beneath the handle at the top of the stem so I tightened that about 1/4 turn and the leak stopped. Hopefully that will do it.

I'm leaving it alone for now. Easy enough to replace or R&R later if the leak shows up again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: