Do I need that overflow pipe in Laundry Sink Faucet

Old 11-13-08, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I need that overflow pipe in Laundry Sink Faucet

Some time ago the faucet in my Laundry area sink started making some hissing noise. I would tighten it really hard and the noise will go away. Then lately, no matter how much I tighten it the noise will not go away. As a matter of fact, the noise increased. There was no leakage from the faucet. I then went to the basement and noticed there was a pool of water right below the Laundry Room which is located on the main floor. I tracked the water coming from a 1/4" plastic pipe. This plastic pipe is similar to the one that is used to connect Ice Maker in a Fridge to the water supply. This pipe was apparently touching the alumunium hot air return pipe and might have melted where it was touching the hot air return thus causing the leakage. I traced this pipe coming from under the Laundry Sink faucet from right below the faucet spout. I figured what was happening that the there was a slight leakage in the hot water cartridge and the water was entering the mixer area but due to lack of pressure was travelling down the plastic pipe into the basement through that plastic pipe. Although the pipe ends up in the drainage pipe in the basement but due to the the hole in the pipe, it was leaking into the basement.

I replaced the washer in both the hot and cold water cartridges and tightened them really hard and the noise and the leakage stopped.

However, I have not been able to pinpoint the hole in the plastic pipe from where the water was leaking. At present, my basement is not finished so I was able to visually see the source of water leakage. I don't want this to happen when I finish my basement because then it will be really difficult to fix it.

My question is, should I replace the entire plastic pipe starting from the Laundry Sink all the way down to the drainage hole in the basement. OR do I even need that pipe ? Can I just cut it at the point below the sink and block it with some kind of a stopper. I have not seen this kind of pipe running from any other faucet i.e. Kitchen or Bathroom. Why do we have this in the Laundry Sink only.

Please if anyone can advise me on this. Really appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-08, 06:12 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I'm not sure what the purpose of the 1/4" pipe is in the first place? Exactly, where is it connected on the sink? Is it some type of pressure release overflow?

Old 11-15-08, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
I'm not sure what the purpose of the 1/4" pipe is in the first place? Exactly, where is it connected on the sink? Is it some type of pressure release overflow?
Thanks for the reply.

That pipe is connected below the sink faucet between the hot and cold water inlet copper pipes. It appears that there was slight leakage from the seat of hot water supply which was flowing into the mixer area. Since the pressure was not enough to push it through the faucet spout, the water was draining through this plastic pipe into the basement where the other end of the plastic pipe was inserted into the drain pipe in the basement.

Old 11-15-08, 04:07 PM
Temporarily Suspended
My guess is, you could eliminate the pipe if you changed the faucet to a different style.

Old 11-16-08, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
My guess is, you could eliminate the pipe if you changed the faucet to a different style.
I didn't changed the faucet, just put in new washers.

Old 11-17-08, 05:15 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Yes, I know that but I think that style faucet may need that pipe and new one might not.