Outside Water Shutoff Valve problems!

Old 11-13-08, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outside Water Shutoff Valve problems!

Hi. To prepare for winter, I went to the basement to shut off the valves for each of the 2 outside water spickets. There is a problem with each! The first leaks from the stem of the valve when I turn it closed. The second seems frozen. It has some green crud around the valve stem which tells me that the preveous owner must not have been shutting off the outside water spicket(s) for the winter.

What is the best way to fix the leak and what is the best way to try and get the stuck valve to turn? Need pictures?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-08, 04:37 PM
The stem leak is probably a packing problem. Back off the valve(open it) and tighten the packing nut around it, then turn the water off again. That should help.

The green stuff is probably where water has been leaking(guessing it is copper pipe). Turn water supply off, remove the stem and packing nut, clean and install new packing if necessary and replace.(A little lubrication won't hurt.) Turn water back on and shut off valve.

Old 02-08-09, 10:17 PM
Unhappy Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband and I are interested in purchasing a beautiful new home in a short sale-something I am new at but researching...and was told in the disclosure that the only existing problem was a spicket burst and wet the basement which was repaired? What do I need to do besides the usual _getting a home inspector and requesting proof of completion. I don't know anything about spickets but I want to make sure this wasn't anything serious!!!!!!!!! Help! and any info you can provide on a short sale would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

DB

Old 02-09-09, 09:00 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I don't know anything about "spickets" either but perhaps you meant to write spigot. Spigot is simply another word for faucet or valve. Your home inspector should be able to easily verify that the repair was correctly done.

Old 02-09-09, 02:24 PM
Spigot Prob.

dbell: I agree with [furd], even the spelling of spigot.