Plumbing/Septic System

Old 10-21-00, 06:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

We also have toilets that "bubble"...however
just 8 months ago we had the tank emptied and the lines "jet cleaned"...major expense.
Now, the problems have returned. We have been using a monthly agent to replace the bacteria for a healthy system. Can we use a "Liquid Plumer" type product in the drain
lines to clean them out? Or does it sound like a "Roto Rooter" type problem?

Old 10-21-00, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'd clean to line out to the tank, then if that don't solve it, then dig up the septic lid and see if the tank is overful, this could also be a drainfield problem, you just need to scope things out, to find out what is going on.

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbimg.com

Old 10-22-00, 01:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

I'm not a plumber, but I agree with Plumber 2000...it could be caused by a number of things. I'm a rural NC real estate broker that has dealt with septic systems, including my own, for over 24 years.
I recently attended a seminar on septic systems by North Carolina State University and the NC Cooperative Extension Service. Their research says that those bacteria additives are not worthwhile. It is unnecessary to use them. Normal usage will produce ample natural bacteria.
Yes, you can use drain cleaners in a septic system, but don't put them through the toilet (can damage wax seal). Pour them down a sink or tub drain.
In addition to cleaning out the main drain line to the tank, I also would check the toilet vents on the roof to make sure that they are clear of leaves, birdnests or debris.
If you just had your tank pumped and the drainfield lines jetted 8 months ago, it might well be your drainfield. How old is your septic system? I had to add a new drainfield line after my system was about 20 years old because the original lines were getting sluggish.
To prevent roots in the drainfield, you can flush about a lb. of copper sulphate crystals about 3 times a year. It comes in 3-lb bags, and is inexpensive.
Septic tanks should be pumped every 5 years, which is the only maintenance that the State recommends here.
After clearing your main drain line and the vent stack(s), if you still have the problem, I would open the tank top, and call a septic system technician/inspector from your local health department to get their recommendation.
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: