Replacing leaking hot water pipe

Old 11-14-08, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing leaking hot water pipe

Its taken a bit to find my leak, but I finally found a leak in the hot water supply to the tub. The 1/2 copper pipe goes through floor joists. At each hole, there is what appears to be cardboard wrapped around the pipe- as if to protect it from sitting on the wood. The leak is just dripping from inside the joist where this cardboard it (which has some green on it.

When I cut the line to replace this, do I need to cusion the pipe from the joist, or can it sit directly on the wood?

both cold and hot have these cardboard rings whereever the went through the joist. - seems strange and not necessary to me. Thoughts????

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-08, 06:01 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It's a good idea to have something there, since the pipes move.

Old 11-14-08, 06:45 PM
If you have a hole in the pipe inside these rappers---I don't think I would replace them.
Maybe they collected moisture & caused the leak..????

Old 11-15-08, 09:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Out of curiousity, is there a solder joint at the leak spot at that cardboard in the joist? If not, you absolutely positive that is where it comes from? Did you feel all the way around the pipe upstream, and then look at your fingers to see if wet? Or are you sure water did not drip onto this area, coincidently from above? Once you get around the head area of the tub, you can't be too careful in trying to find where the true source of a leak may be coming from.

And in a little bit, oddly enough, -I- have to go out on a call for this very thing! The landlord/handyguy I work for could not find where the leak was coming from, from behind the upstairs tub at the headwall, even though it was dripping into apt. directly below. He called me up last night, while sitting here posting, and said his neck is too stiff to turn and look good, so he wants me to go there and make MY neck get stiff.

Old 11-15-08, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Sounds like someone had knocking or squeeking pipes in the past and fixed it best they knew how.

Old 11-15-08, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Out of curiousity, is there a solder joint at the leak spot at that cardboard in the joist? If not, you absolutely positive that is where it comes from? Did you feel all the way around the pipe upstream, and then look at your fingers to see if wet? Or are you sure water did not drip onto this area, coincidently from above?
Absolutely. I've cut about 6 holes in the ceiling to locate this thing- I thought it was origionally a waste pipe leak. Anyhow, there is a sweat joint in the middle of the rafters, but the leak is not from their- its from where it goes into the rafter- the weater dripps out both sides. And no, not related to someone trying to fix a squeeeky pipe- all the plumbing is ddone this way, and behind sheetrock.

Old 11-15-08, 01:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is this the first such type leak from copper piping in your house? Kind of strange. I can see a leak forming there, say if the pipe was touching a metal screw or nail. You on city water or a well?

Old 11-24-08, 05:32 PM
Yes its the first leak, and I am on city water, with very high water pressure. I do see some green stains around this area, and in one of the sinks not used much. I did replace the leaking tube- but its hard to tell what caused the issue. There is no nail or screw- and I did not replace the paper which was pretty much toast.

However, in the basement, where the heating pipes are wrapped with insulation and plastic, I have noticed the same green corrotion - so significant that it is eating away the pipes. The insulation is now sticking to the pipes and plastic, that you can not undo it without potentially causing a big leak. These will be replaced with new boiler next week. But again, the cause of this is confusing