Converting closet into laundry

Old 11-14-08, 06:36 PM
Converting closet into laundry

Hi!
I am converting a deep closet into a laundry with a stackable unit. It is on the ground floor of the house adjacent to the bathroom.

So far I have run hot and cold supply lines from the basement, up through the floor and installed the water valves on the wall. I used 1/2" PEX for the supply lines which I attached to the copper pipes in the basement using PEX TEE connections. (In the closet, I left everything outside the wall since it is a lot easier than setting into the wall and since it will be behind the appliance, no one will see, anyway.) I have also fixed into place a 2" PVC as a standpipe. It's currently just floating there wedged into the hole which I cut into the floor- I have not attached a trap, yet.
The valves and the top of the standpipe are 41" above the floor- meeting the minimum 36" above the floor standard set by the washing machine owner's manual.

I've drawn a diagram of what I have so far:
http://www.havecamerawilltravel.net/plumb-config.jpg

Now, the next step for me is to connect the stand pipe into the sewer.
I understand that I need a 2" trap. This can go either above or below the floor, and then from there I'm foggy about how to connect it to the sewer pipe.

There is also this possibility- since the bathtub is nearby, I could possibly tap into that drain instead- if it would be easier.

The total distance from the end of the standpipe below the floor to the cast iron sewer pipe is about 6 horizontal feet.

What I could really use is a diagram of the configuration, or a step by step explanation; i.e., "the hip bone is connected to the thigh bone, the thigh bone connected to the knee bone...." if you get my drift.

thanks much! I surely do appreciate your expert advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-08, 08:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A couple things...

- I'm pretty sure the trap needs to be above the floor (it's not permissible to be underneath the floor).

- How far is it from the standpipe to the sewer line? You will likely need to add a vent to the drain.

- It will be easiest if you don't have to cut the cast iron pipe. It's doable, but it'll be much easier if you can cut into a nearby steel or pvc drain. Maybe a couple pictures would help.

Old 11-14-08, 09:45 PM
Standpipe to Drain

Hey There,
Thanks, well, I just discovered that there is another PVC drainline from the second floor washing machine (it's a 2 family) and it is connected to the cast iron sewer line.
It's outside the crawl space and much easier to reach- and it's plastic! Hooray!

So, if I were to connect my standpipe to that instead, would it work? Would I still need a vent?

I'm thinking, put the p-trap above the floor, then a Tee into another 2" pipe going down beneath the floor, then I'm assuming an elbow, then a long PVC - about 15 feet to meet up with the other laundry drain, and then what?
A Wye fitting into the other PVC?

And how to vent?

thank you, thank you!

Old 11-15-08, 03:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Put the ptrap below the floor. If you put it above the floor, you will, in essence, have an s-trap, and they aren't code compliant. That should solve your run problems. Make sure you have 1/4" per foot of drop from the outlet of the ptrap to the connector at your other drain. So you are talking a little less than 4" drop.