Floor heating/mold

Old 11-15-08, 02:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floor heating/mold

Hello,

My wife and I are looking at installing "Sun Touch UnderFloor" heating that goes between your floor joists to heat our tile in our bathroom upstairs. Has anyone every used this before and how did it work? Does it make any difference if we have engineered floor joists as it says you need a 2 inch gap between the floor upstatirs and the mat?

Another question we have is, in this bathroom we have noticed some mold forming in the corner. Any tips on keeping this at bay and cleaning it? We are going to start using our bathroom fan to suck out the humid air while showering. Would this floor heating help or cause more problems with mold if we put it in?

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-08, 03:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold and mildew spores are everywhere in the air. When they find a poorly ventilated, damp, and soiled surface, they tend to settle in. Vent/fan unit should be run during bathing/showering and for at least 20 minutes afterwards to exhaust humidity. The vent/fan unit should be exhausted to the outdoors and not into the attic. Run the fan and keep surfaces clean. Mildew prone surfaces can be sprayed with disinfectant. Your mold/mildew problem has nothing to do with your flooring temperature issues.

Go to Underfloor Electric/Radiant Heating Mats: SunTouch for info on the Sun Touch underfloor system. If installing a radiant heating system under flooring or joists, it is best to coordinate advice from both the manufacturer of the flooring and the heating system manufacturer.

I found WarmZone site more informative at Under Joist Radiant Heating But, each manufacturer has their own specific installation instructions.

Oops! Now, I think I struck gold here: Underfloor Heating :: Heated Floors :: In Floor Heating :: Electric Radiant Heat - UnderFloor Heat for Existing Floors installs in joist spaces