Tub wall pipes;where to find?What are they?


Old 11-16-08, 10:30 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tub wall pipes;where to find?What are they?

I attempted an easy task--changing out the diverter in the tub. Well....I have sprung a leak but not at the diverter (it works just great).
I have a delta single handle tub faucet. Has a metal ball inside. Behind the faucet itself, in the wall is some sort of 3 legged fixture (copper?brass?). The legs are it looks like cold/hot/and what? water return? This is where water comes and goes? The 3 legs fit in to the front of a hunk of copper with lines going up/down(BIG piece that the diverter fits in to)/and each side (hot/cold water). There are pin hole leaks in the 3legged thing where it goes from itself to the hunk of copper.
What is this????? and how do I find one? I want the 3legged creature and the hunk that it fits in to and whatever...

I don't even know what to call it. I've looked online for an hour just trying to find a name to this.

Anyone? Hoping it's all one piece.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-08, 12:27 PM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 2,041
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is called a tub/shower valve. Delta use to make it as an assembly where the main body was joined to the control valve body by those 3 copper tubes. If there is a leak there, the entire valve needs to be replaced. Modern designs by Delta and everyone else no longer use the tube connection like you have.

It is necessary to open up the wall either through the front, or through the back side of the wall. The back side is easier if you have access to it. The entire valve assembly inlets and outlets are soldered to the pipes in the wall.

A very good plumber could put in a new valve without making a huge hole in the tub wall. It will best be done by making a larger hole than you now have, and covering it with an available oversize "smitty plate".
Old 11-16-08, 08:29 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is already a 'door' in the hall closet that gives easy access to the pipes. This would negate him having to make a bigger hole in the front, right?

Any chance this could be attempted by other than a good plumber (me)?

I just don't know what to buy. Seems HD and L's have made 'real' plumbing supply stores scarce.

ooh, maybe a chance to use a shark connector?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: