How to shut off the outside spickets for winter

Old 11-18-08, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Today is the first day that the temperature will go below the freezing point at night, so I was trying to shut off the outside spickets and drain the water out. There are 1 outside spicket in the front of the house and 1 in the back of the house. I found the valve to turn off the one in the back in the basement utility room. And it shut off the back spicket well. Then I was going through every inch in my house trying to find the value for the front spicket. Couldn't find it. Finally I found a valve with a meter next to it. I shut that off and went outside to check. It did stop the water there. I came back only to realize that it also stopped the water in my whole house. So I had to turn it back on. Now I have no clue where the valve would be for the front spicket. Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

pls. I just moved in this house in September. It is a 4 year old house.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-08, 12:57 AM
you need to follow the pipe from where it enters the house, to where it joins any other water pipe. it should be along that line.

I had one spigot with a shutoff and one that they put in later that didnt have a shutoff.

I just turned off the water to the whole house and sweated a new shutoff in, took about 20 minutes.

Old 11-19-08, 01:04 AM
Follow pipes to locate shut off valve to outdoor faucet. If there is not one, then it is recommended that you install one.

Old 11-19-08, 03:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you have frostproof sillcocks, it should be unnecessary, but to get a warm and fuzzy, install ball valves (not pvc, nor cpvc!!, but brass) somewhere in the heated area of the house. Once turned off at that point, open the outside faucets and allow them to drain.

Old 11-19-08, 06:22 AM

If you install an additional shut-off, make sure get one with a "bleeder" on the downstream side. After you shut off the water, open the outside faucet and the "bleeder" to let air in and get the line to drain completely. Before turning on the water, make sure you close the "bleeder" or you will have a mess.

My townhouse has "no-freeze" ouside faucets, but some plumbing is in the outside walls, so a shut-off with a bleeder was installed to make sure the line is totally drained.

Dick