Sewage Question

Old 11-20-08, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sewage Question

Hello,

Not sure if this belongs here or not. If no then sorry.

We're looking at buying a house and had the inspection done. They found an issue with the plumbing. The owner has said that they had it looked at and had the following done.

A. Clog removed from double trap contained roots but no terra cotta.
B. company plans to insert a foam that will "seal" the piping. This is guaranteed for 5 years.

My question is that this seems a little bit fishy. I would think that a plumber would be able to tell how and why there are roots in the plumbing. I would think that with roots being there that there would be a break of some sort. I'm not really sure how inserting an hardening foam will resolve the problem. This is an issue that could cost a large amount of money if we continue with the purchase.

Thank you for your replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-08, 06:53 PM
I have heard of stuff the is supposed to help deal with roots. I my self, do not have much faith in a pour in product.

If there are roots in a pipe. They came in through a hole or crack.
Witch in turn, is going to need to be replaced.

This just my thought on the matter.

Travis

Old 11-28-08, 06:44 PM
re: sewer question

roots in the line suggest old piping and, one might suspect, roots have intruded in more than one spot..ask them to video your sewer service..most professional plumbing service companies have that capability..

as to "sealing" the pipe, if it's some sort of chemical seal that is placed w/o a "sock", i'd be wary..for larger piping, they do have means of inserting a "sock", which is filled with hot water and activates a resin forming a pretty good seal..you then have to reconnect al, tie-ins as they have been sealed off..perhaps they can now do the same for service lines.