Water Softener Drainage Problem

Old 11-22-08, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Softener Drainage Problem

I purchased a water softener which works fine. The issue is that my basement doesn't have a floor drain so I was forced to have drain pipe go up five feet and along basement ceiling to small hole to drain under deck. Now with the freezing temps, the hose which I thought would drain completely is now frozen withing the outside plastic pipe which caused the system to back up and flood the basement. Is there anyway to keep the small black plastic hose from freezing when it drains under the deck? The only other option I have is to drain the softener into the Radon Pipe which I didn't think was a good option but that is all I have for a potential drain on the inside. Any options would be great!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-08, 05:42 PM
Are you saying that you are dumping this wastewater straight onto the ground, contaminating the ground water supply?

Old 11-24-08, 07:21 PM
This is discharge water that is nothing more than water with some extra salt in it. I have this discharged on a rock bed under the deck so that it doesn't kill the grass plants etc. The water softener requests that it drains into a french drain in the basement that would be doing the same thing. Is this not correct?

Old 11-25-08, 11:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I have the same problem to solve, but haven't actually tried to fix it yet.

What I plan on doing is getting some 1.25" PVC pipe and running that to the outside. On the inside, installing a standpipe for the softener hose to go into.

The reason the water in the hose doesn't drain out is because there is no air allowed to enter from the softener end (no vent as it were). By putting the hose into the larger PVC pipe, and leaving an air gap, the water should completely drain out of the PVC pipe because of gravity. No water, therefore nothing to freeze.

As I said, I haven't tried this yet myself... but it will likely be a project for this fall.