What is the safe distance for a ball valve when soldering copper pipe

Old 11-22-08, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the safe distance for a ball valve when soldering copper pipe

When soldering, the copper pipe will become very hot. I was told the interior of a ball valve is made of kind of plastic, will the heat generated from soldering damage a ball valve nearby? Or what is the safe distance for a ball valve when soldering a copper pipe? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-08, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Wrap a wet rag around the pipe where it meets the valve. Not a Pro, but a couple of inches is good insurance. You can also loosen the packing nut below the handle and take the guts out to be safe.

Old 11-22-08, 05:11 PM
Thanks. I have about 8 inch distance. I can't leave the valve open unless I shut off the heating system and drain the water inside, which is what I am tring to avoid. So will it work by wrapping the valve with a wet rag?

Old 11-22-08, 05:45 PM
Ball valves have a teflon packing gland. The sweat type ball valves were designed to be heated in order to be connected to copper piping systems.

It's strongly suggested that the valve be OPEN when soldering, and absolutely do NOT turn that valve off or move the handle until the valve is completely cooled down.

Otherwise, you will distort that teflon packing gland and the valve will not properly shut/seal off.

Old 11-23-08, 04:40 PM
take a small pipe wrench/adjustable wrench and put the wrench end in a bucket of ICE with water.then tighten it on the pipe from the item your trying to ptotect from the heat.then wrap the wrench and pipe with a wet thin piece of cloth rag.....and torch away.any heat will seek the coldest spot so it will go right into the wrench/rag.