replace washing machine single lever valve?

Old 11-24-08, 02:53 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replace washing machine single lever valve?

Hello, Can someone advise me how to replace a washing machine single lever valve. This is the device that supplies water to the washing machine and turns the water supply on and off by simply pushing the lever forward and backwards. The one I have leaks at the lever. The valve is mounted behind the washer on the wall in a plastic outlet box. I've looked it over closely and can't see how to get access to the water pipes going to the valve. The outlet box that holds the valve is completely drywalled in and there is no way I can get to the pipes/water connections. The washer is on the first floor and from the basement I can see the pipes going up to the valve but still no way to get access to the valve to replace it. It seems to me that the only way I can access to the pipes/water connections going to the valve is by cutting an access hole in the drywall just below the outlet box. I hate to do this (cut the drywall) if I don't have to. If there is another way to do it, please let me know. Once I can get access to pipes/water connections going to the valve, how do I replace the valve? Is there soldering involved or just unscrewing the old valve? Thanks you mross

Old 11-24-08, 03:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It is possible you can service the valve you have. I am not sure the brand, but if you can turn both the hot and cold water off to this location and let the head pressure subside by opening a lower faucet, both hot and cold, you may be able to remove the nut around the neck and replace the innards. If you knew the brand or could post a picture of it on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the HTML code in your reply post, we can see what you have.
Is yours like this?

Last edited by chandler; 11-24-08 at 03:57 PM. Reason: found pix
Old 11-24-08, 04:37 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,
That's great news. If I can repair the valve, that would be much easier than replacing it. I'm not sure of the brand either, but I've included a photo of it in this reply. Looking at the pipes going to the valve from the basement I don't see any shut-offs, so does that mean I would have to shut off the main water supply to stop water to the valve? Also, what about the 2 screws at the top of the valve (to the right and left of the lever) Do these screws have anything to do with getting inside the valve to repair it? Thanks mross

Old 11-24-08, 08:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Maybe this will help you understand what you are looking at. Go to http://www.watts.com/pdf/1915937.pdf

Old 11-25-08, 12:38 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 341 Likes on 307 Posts
I just installed one of those boxes. The pipe is likely either screwed or soldered to the valve, and there won't be any way of replacing the whole valve without cutting into the drywall.

You can likely replace just the valve portion of it by removing those two big silver screws. Of course, turn the main water off first and open a few faucets to relieve any pressure. With those screws off, the whole body should lift off, and either be replaced by a similar valve (it looks very standard, available at HD or wherever), or you may be able to even just replace the washers.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: