Repairing a Toilet Angle Stop

Old 11-25-08, 12:43 PM
Exclamation Repairing a Toilet Angle Stop

I am trying to fix a leaking Shut off valve that goes to my toilet, it is a compression type valve. I know how to replace the water supply tube and I am just having trouble with the removal of the valve. After I shut off the water to the house, I need to have 2 wrenches one for the nut, and one for the valve itself. But, which do i want to actually turn? Do i try and loosen the nut, or the valve?
Then, after i have removed the old valve, made sure the new nut goes on the old valve easily(to make sure the threads are the same) do i just wrap the threads of the new valve with teflon tape to make sure it does not leak? and when tightening do i turn the nut or the valve? I have replaced many supply lines but not had to deal with a compression type valve before.

Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by Azgelfling; 11-25-08 at 12:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-08, 01:25 PM
You'd probably want to turn the nut being careful not to apply enough pressure to damage or dislodge the compression ring.If that fails turning the valve body itself is not out of the question.As for replacement unless the nut and ferrul (ring) is damage I'd reuse it.Yanking the old one off and putting on a new ferrul isn't that easy and could damage the tubing at that point.All compression nuts are the same thread so a compression valve of the same size will have the same thread (guessing it's "1/2 copper" which is 5/8 OD 1/2 ID but take the old one with you to match).Generally compression nuts do not need tape.The threads do not really seal anything however a couple of thicknesses will not hurt anything either.If there is a leak it will come out around where the tubing goes through the nut normally.

Old 11-25-08, 01:32 PM
Great thanks for the advice, and i do not want to overtighten the nut and valve right, because it could damage or warp the copper tubing correct?

Old 11-25-08, 02:44 PM
Snug it up firmly but do not over do it.You could damage the tubing or loosen the ferrul etc.