Loud gurgling noise from Gas Water Heater

Old 11-16-00, 10:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

A loud gurgling noise is coming from the water heater. Is this because the water is being heated or could it be something else?
Can anything be done to reduce the noise?

[This message has been edited by sjkogan (edited November 16, 2000).]

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-00, 02:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Have not had any response as of yet

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Originally posted by sjkogan
A loud gurgling noise is coming from the water heater. Is this because the water is being heated or could it be something else?
Can anything be done to reduce the noise?

[This message has been edited by sjkogan (edited November 16, 2000).]

Old 11-30-00, 04:52 PM
Lew Falconer
Visiting Guest
Talking water heater gurgle

Do you know how tempting it is to say your water heater has gas? (Sorry, couldn't help myself). I seem to recall that this can happen if there is a large buildup of sediment in the bottom of the tank. Hook a garden hose up to the drain valve at the bottom of the tank and run it to a drain. Open the valve and flush the water out until it runs clear. No need to shut off the gas supply while you do this. Hope this helps. Let us know how you make out.

Old 12-05-00, 08:03 AM
hamptonp
Visiting Guest
I had this same loud, gurgling noise from my gas water heater after I installed a water softner. I was told that the reason was that the soft water was breaking up the sediment in the tank causing it to float. It was an old tank that probably had never been properly drained. The tank lasted another 3 years before it started leaking. It sounds scary, but in my case, it wasn't a sign of a dangerous situation.