connect cpvc pipes to brass shower valve

Old 11-28-08, 06:59 PM
connect cpvc pipes to brass shower valve

I have a shower valve (pressure balance) that is an all brass casing. It has 4 female threaded ports (2 in 2 out with a built-in diverter).

How do I connect cpvc pipes to these brass threaded ports?

I was planning on using sharkbite fittings - with a male metal thread on one side to connect to the female threaded port on the valve, then the other side I will just put in the CPVC pipe.

The other option is to use a CPVC union. One end is a metal male threaded end and the other side a CPVC stub to glue on to the CPVC pipe.

I was trying to decide which one to use, and I asked the plumbing supply store tech and he said to just use a normal CPVC fitting with one threaded end and a socket end, just use teflon tape when connecting the threaded CPVC end into the brass valve. This would be a lot cheaper too.

Is he right? I don't need a union to go from brass to CPVC?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-08, 04:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Install 1/2" male cpvc adapters, then do your pipe glue up to them. For your shower head, I wouldn't use cpvc unless you convert to a brass shower ear fastened securely to a backer board. Don't use a cpvc shower ear.
As far as a union, with cpvc, if you have a problem, you just cut the pipe, fix the boo boo and re-join it. Get a good seat on your male adapters, as you won't have a chance to tighten them after glue up.
If you are using it for a tub, also, don't use cpvc for that run. It is usually best to use galvanized iron or copper, as you will be torquing it with the spout when you install it.

Old 11-29-08, 05:27 AM
thanks chandler.

how do I get a good seat on the male adapter? It is metal to metal do I need to apply something like teflon tape?

also I wonder if they make a 90 degree elbow with a threaded male adapter on one end and a cpvc socket on the other end? I looked and could not find it. I could use a straight adapter then glue a CPVC elbow but room is tight.

Old 11-29-08, 05:59 AM
You won't be metal to metal as the male adapter is cpvc. Yes you will use teflon tape. In order to get your clearances, use a male adapter, short piece of pipe, elbow then continue with the pipe.

Old 11-29-08, 06:49 AM
OK I got it. In other words, use this:

and not this:

I for some reason thought I have to use a CPVC-metal transition piece. The cpvc male adaptor is a lot cheaper too.

On the shower head, if I go with a metal drop ear 90, how do I transition one to it? I have to use a sharkbite fitting there I would suppose? One of these?

or perhaps this one:

Old 11-29-08, 03:29 PM
You can use either of the first set, depending on pocket book priorities. I would use the bottom one in the second set mainly for cost factor, too.