teflon tape or pipe seal compound?

Old 11-29-08, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
teflon tape or pipe seal compound?

Over the past month I have heard all kinds of pros and cons as to what to use on what type of pipe or fitting from "don't use teflon on plastic pipe fittings". What is the general rule based on your experiences as to what is best for what type of pipe, tube or fitting?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-08, 11:22 AM
Sealing fittings

David Doran: Back in the old days the manufactors of plastic type fittings didn't recomend anything, that didn't work. I prefer teflon paste on plastic. On metalic I use a little teflon tape with a thin coat of pipe dope on the top. These fittings are made so bad now you have to add a little extra to them. Luck.Beer 4U2

Old 11-29-08, 11:51 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Thanks Shacko

I have been using teflon tape on metal fittings for 35 years, but in the past 5 yrs have had several leak problems with new fittings. You must have hit it on the head that the tolerances in the fittings has gotten looser. I thought I was slowly going crazy. I have converted to dope which of course contains teflon.

Old 11-29-08, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
I've seen several posts and DIY type shows where the plumbers use both...belt and suspenders I guess?

Old 11-29-08, 01:04 PM
It's all about the importation of I'm betting nearly 100% of all galvanized fittings and probably most other types.Quality levels are low.

Old 11-30-08, 05:32 AM
Use both teflon tape and pipe dope

When I plumbed a washer box I used just teflon tape and It leaked I had to gorilla one more turn praying that I'd get the valves rotated 360 degrees. By doing this I risked the obvious that I wouldn't be able to connect the washer hoses cause the valves were facing the wrong way and splitting the valves from to much force.

A sure fire way to avoid this problem...
Put teflon tape on the boys and pipe dope on the girls. For those with a perverted imagination put tefllon tapw on the external threads and pipe dope on the internal threads. Since I started using this method I have not had one threaded connection leak.

Old 11-30-08, 11:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
I've seen several posts and DIY type shows where the plumbers use both...belt and suspenders I guess?
Exactly. Good analogy since I HAVE worn my belt with my suspenders.

Old 11-30-08, 01:22 PM
used to see cast iron fittings that said on them not to use with pipe dope just teflon tape, the best is the pink extra thick teflon tape., but I have used both with good effect. just like huffjon

murphy was an optimist