Outside faucet pipe broken off underground!

Old 11-30-08, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outside faucet pipe broken off underground!

Grrr... This didn't make me happy much, I was washing my truck with my kid and I look over to the spigot and there is water coming out from under the ground.
And I have to go to work in less than an hour...
Ok - I see that it is a piece of 3/4 metal pipe connected below the ground to the poly pipe that runs between the house main and the meter at the street. I managed to get a 3/4 connector, a nipple and a cap on it and go to work. It doesn't leak much - just a slight weep around where the fresh connector connects to the corroded and weathered 3/4 pipe that comes out of the ground.
So now I know I need to fix it correctly - but I am sure that it will only slightly leak for a long time. I like to fix things right so just the thought that it could start leaking faster at any time scares me.
So what should I do/expect when I dig it all out? I plan to dig it out, see how it connects to the poly pipe and just do the same thing again, this time connecting it to something more substantial so it doesn't break off again, even though corrosion played a huge role - and the house is over 30 years old.
What am I going to see in there? Just some hose clamps hooked to a fitting that connects to the 3/4 pipe? Is there a better way? Should I invest in a hydrant? Is it ok to have it hooked the same way it is, between the meter and the main shutoff at the house? I obviuously had to shut the water down at both ends, because at first I was wondering why the water was still coming out and some of it was warm. I don't always catch on right away.
Arent I supposed to heat up poly pipe when I clamp it down? If so do I have to dig it out that much to get a propane torch in there? Thanks in advance for any advice or replies and sorry so long!!...Coffee?... I am rather handy and have tackled advanced projects like retrofitting my house with a forced air heating system - I just don't want to tear in there and end up having to call someone in or botch the job from simple ignorance of tricks of the trade.
Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-08, 11:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You will likely find a barbed insert coupling that has those barbs that go into the poly, and is stainless steel band clamped around the poly. And on the other end of the insert coupling will be probably male threads that will have the galvanized pipe fitting screwed onto. You can buy those at home centers.

Old 12-01-08, 12:23 PM
Awesome, thanks for the reply! Do I need to/should I heat up the poly when I clamp it down or is that just something to try when you have one that is leaking?
It doesn't sound all that scary at all - so I'll plan an afternoon worth of work and running to the store as is so common when doing plumbing work. Is there a standard size for the poly pipe for running into a 3 bedroom home or do I need to wait and see once I dig everything out?

Scott

Old 12-01-08, 03:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Heat it up? Interesting idea, if say it is cold and stiff. Last time I worked with that stuff, was in the south when it was hot. I suppose you could take a hair dryer to it if it say was real cold, if that would help you get the insert in.

Dig up the old first and then see what you need.

Old 12-01-08, 04:39 PM
Awesome again... I'll give it a go - and let you know how it goes!
Scott Beer 4U2