Kitchen faucet suddenly slows down

Old 12-05-08, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen faucet suddenly slows down

My two-handled kitchen faucet suddenly slowed it's output to a near trickle in the past two weeks, and I'm not sure why. Here are the complete symptoms:

Cold and hot water both slowed to almost a trickle within the timeframe of a couple weeks.

Took off water-saving screen and apparatus, there was a bunch of black particles in the screen and water saver. After pulling out the black particles (almost seemed like they were charcoal bits, consistency-wise), the water came out a little faster, but not what it had been previously.

Couple days pass, water slowed even more, and more black particles showed up. Recleaned, but this time, did not make a difference.

Looked on DIY forums, says that maybe there is a faulty valve coming apart. This confuses me, since BOTH cold and hot water are slow. Further confusion comes from the fact that the dishwasher is also fed from the hot water copper pipe, and that seems to be feeding as normal.

There are three valves under the sink, on the hot side, from bottom to top is a valve for the dishwasher, further up a valve for the hot water spigot. On the cold side, a single valve for the spigot.

Could it be that I have a bad faucet at the sink? We are not opposed to replacing the faucet (we hate the look of it anyway), but I want to make sure that I am replacing the part, not putting a whole lot of money into parts that are not going to fix the underlying problem. All other sinks and showers, etc seem to be fine on that level of the house, so I'm thinking new faucet, but...

Any ideas? I'm very handy when it comes to replacing parts, even soldering joints, etc, but my troubleshooting is somewhat lacking.

Thanks!

Ray

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-08, 06:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You might start by taking it all apart to see where the blockage is.

Old 12-05-08, 07:50 PM
Will do, my friend. On the docket for tomorrow. Just was hoping someone had a "hey I've been there before" reply before I did that.

Old 12-05-08, 08:03 PM
Do you have a water softener or a charcoal filter?
I have seen them lose there stuff. It sounds like that could be your problem.

Travis

Old 12-05-08, 09:02 PM
I have a softener, yes. But my kitchen sink is the only faucet with the symptoms, so again, I am hesitant to point the finger at that. I'll definitely be taking the sink apart tomorrow and seeing where that brings me.