Tolet Flange Leaking

Old 11-25-00, 06:10 AM
Visiting Guest
I have a problem with the installation of a replacement tolet. I can not get the wax ring to seal. I have replace many tolets in the past and have had no troble in the past. This installation has used so far used three wax rings and has yet ot net a seal. The waste flange is welded to an iron 4" pipe. The flange sits about 1/2" off of the tile floor line. I have used both a No. 1 and a No. 10 wax ring. Teh area around the flange has been cleaned. The Tolet is a Kohler unit. The wax rings have all had a polyethylene flange. I have replace the flange bolts. What am I missing?

Please help
Thanks
KMH

Old 11-26-00, 10:16 PM
mojo
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by KMH:
I have a problem with the installation of a replacement tolet. I can not get the wax ring to seal. I have replace many tolets in the past and have had no troble in the past. This installation has used so far used three wax rings and has yet ot net a seal. The waste flange is welded to an iron 4" pipe. The flange sits about 1/2" off of the tile floor line. I have used both a No. 1 and a No. 10 wax ring. Teh area around the flange has been cleaned. The Tolet is a Kohler unit. The wax rings have all had a polyethylene flange. I have replace the flange bolts. What am I missing?

Please help
Thanks
KMH
<HR>

does the flange really sit a 1/2 inch off the floor? ive always thought they should be sitting on top of floor, not above it. also, are bolt slots broken? if 1 is broken, or even bent, the toilet wont tighten down, and it will wobble. and, is it soldered, or do you mean lead poured between flange and pipe? to move or remove flange, just drill 1/4" holes in lead with sharp twist bit, and chisel out remaining lead with cold chisel or even a screwdriver, and replace. to seal new flange, or old one that is moved, a liquid in a can is sold, instead of pouring lead. around here its called soil seal. actually, one other obvious thing i forgot till now is that a flange needs to be screwed down to floor, otherwise is may move and break seal between ring and flange. good luck, and post again if you have more questions

Old 11-27-00, 07:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

KMH,
If your flange is sitting 1/2" off BELOW the tile floor level, just double up with two wax rings, and that will solve your problem.
If it is 1/2" ABOVE the tile floor level, you will need to do as suggested and set the flange flush on the floor. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: