Shower pan drain leak, poured lead

Old 12-07-08, 08:45 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower pan drain leak, poured lead

I have 35 plus years construction, it looks like shower pan drain is falling apart, leaks. No problem went to HD to pickup new drain, spoke to sales people was told I had torazo base with poured lead drain built as one peice, could not be repaired, I would have to replace with whole new shower base. Ater just doing tiles and hardware, I am hoping someone has easier fix , I do have acces to under shower. Silicone seams to only be temporary. Any help, thank you.

Old 12-07-08, 12:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yup, seems like a total tear out is in order. I would replace it will a mud pan.

Old 12-08-08, 06:55 AM
S
Thanks Mark, I still can't think they would make something like that , totally unsevicable. Before I rip out, I will try to knock out old drain and adapt something. Thanks Stan

Old 12-08-08, 03:05 PM
Although silicone caulking definitely will serve as a temporary fix, I have never found it to be a permanent solution.

Also bear in mind most tiled showers stay that way for many years and last quite a long time.

Is it leaking from the seal around the drain, or the lead joint?
Is the drain leaded in with metal pipe, or pvc pipe?

More often than not the shower drain is leaking from other than the lead or drain to pipe joint. it is usually coming from the shower base and looks like it is coming from the drain. You may want to take a second and closer look.

Old 12-08-08, 03:18 PM
H
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Since you have access from below, why not have a plumber take a look at it before you tear anything out.

Old 12-09-08, 02:03 PM
S
The problem is the lead drain, part has erroded away I can see the PCV pipe small spots, where the lead had counter sunk into pcv, so now I get small leak to outside dia. of pvc pipe. Silicone helps but this will get worse before it gets better. Home Depot had pcv drain threaded from below, then compression to pcv, then talked to salesman/plumber told him of the lack of any type of fitting that held old drain(my concer was how to get old drain out) he said it was this tarazo with poured lead non servicable, must be ripped out, seems lame to me. But if I can get it out without damage to this tarazo base catch a lip, may make something work. Thanks Stan

Old 12-11-08, 10:50 AM
H
Why not post some pictures so that some of the plumbers can take a look at what you have? I'd not take the word of someone working in the plumbing department at HD. He may or may not know what he is talking about? It doesnt sound like he has a clue, but I'm no plumber.

Or have a plumber come in and take a look at it. If you have access from below, I cant believe that it cant be fixed from below.

Post some pictures.

Old 12-11-08, 11:06 AM
I agree, pictures would help.

Hey, don't knock ALL those HD employees in the plumbing dept's, I was once one of them, (part time and when I was sick the first time), hehe, but I agree, most of them should not be in the departments they are selling in.

Old 12-11-08, 01:10 PM
H
Mark Ouch. No offense intended.

Old 12-11-08, 04:21 PM
None intended

I was just poking fun at you.

Old 12-11-08, 05:44 PM
E
How about epoxy putty then?

I was working on one of my mobile homes yesterday, under the bathroom sink, and I noticed something I never noticed before: epoxy putty was wrapped around an obviously bad copper solder joint. _I_ never put it there! That means that perfectly melded epoxy has done it's job, on a pressure line!, for about 20 years!

Old 12-12-08, 07:28 AM
H
Ecman, pretty wild how a patch like that could last so long.

Where is that Billy Mays guy with his super putty when you need him. I know everybody has seen that commercial where he stops a leak in a copper water lead with a piece of super putty.Beer 4U2

Old 12-12-08, 05:11 PM
E
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
Ecman, pretty wild how a patch like that could last so long.
I was in awe. I took a real close look at it and it practically resembled a weld, in the fact there was no visible cold joint, after all this time. It was packed around the elbow and had a gob of it that stuck out quite a bit all the way around. Like as if someone used bubble gum on it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: