PVC => copper => hose bib

Old 12-14-08, 06:15 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
PVC => copper => hose bib

The hose bibs on my 15 year old house for some reason are soldered to copper pipe. The bibs are threaded male but the pipe was soldered into the unthreaded inside of the bibs. The copper tubing (a couple of feet long or less) is in turn attached to the interior PVC plumbing. Is there any logic to this, other than that maybe somebody had the wrong size hose bibs, or ran out of PVC?

A couple of years ago I made the mistake of assuming a bib was threaded onto something (which was not visible) and it sure felt like it was unscrewing . . . of course, the copper pipe was twisting into a knot and broke. Now I'm finding this quirk is a standard feature of the house.

Old 12-14-08, 07:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Many years ago, hose bibbs were all threaded on, but now most plumbers will solder them on because of less chance of a leak.

Most frost proof hose bibbs are dual connections so you can chose which method of connection you would like to use.

Exactly why they went from hose bibb to copper to plastic could be any number of reasons, but you can change that to whichever way you prefer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: