Quicker Pressure Drop

Old 12-14-08, 06:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Quicker Pressure Drop

The water pressure in my home is about 80 - 90 psi. I have an expansion tank connected to my electric water heater and I have a watts pressure reducer after the water meter. When I open a faucet, the water runs normally for about 5 seconds and then you notice the water pressure change and decrease. I look at my water pressure gauge and the water pressure is reading 20 psi. Is it normal for water pressure to drop so much with just opening one faucet?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-08, 07:30 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
This isn't really the correct forum [Boilers] for your question, so I'm moving it to a 'better place'...

To me, it sounds as though there's a problem with the pressure regulator.

Old 12-14-08, 07:50 PM
Trooper is correct

I would start by checking the pressure reducing valve.
What is happening is when all the faucets are off, the water pressure will build up to the static pressure of your PRV, but when water is drawn off, as soon as you use up the existing pressure, the new water make-up is less than your usage, caused by a restriction of flow either by a partially closed valve or mineral buildup in the PRV

Old 12-14-08, 09:18 PM
What can I do to check the prv?

Old 12-14-08, 09:29 PM
I guess what I would do is shut off the water at the meter and remove the prv and adapt a makeshift tee with a gauge on the branch side, then add a ball valve on the end with maybe a hose connection, so you can let it run outside without making a mess.. Total parts cost about $35.00

Once completed, the water will be disconnected from the home and will only be testing the water coming in. Turn the water on and read pressure. then open ball valve to hose and read pressure. It should drop some, but not to 20psi. Don't forget to make sure any valves(shut offs) before this testing equipment is open all the way.

If everything appears to be fine at that point, replace the prv and check again. If problem shows up, replace prv.