Help- Tiles in bathrood getting HOT!

Old 12-14-08, 09:42 PM
Help- Tiles in bathrood getting HOT!

I have a slab foundation. We noticed that some tiles adjacent to the wall in the bathroom downstairs started to get hot. No water coming from beneath, but the tile (travertine) is very warm. Behind the wall is a water heater but no leaks are apparent. I am on a slab foundation and the house was built using copper pipes for the plumbing. What could this be? I was thinking it's a hot water pipe gone bad but the stones are not soaked. Any experience on that what this is? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-08, 03:56 AM
Does the pipe for the hot water run into the floor slab?? If yes, that is the answer. Not a good practice to run piping in concrete, corrosive. If no, there is a leak somewhere, likely in that wall.

Old 12-15-08, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Does the pipe for the hot water run into the floor slab?? If yes, that is the answer. Not a good practice to run piping in concrete, corrosive. If no, there is a leak somewhere, likely in that wall.
yes, the water heater is directly behind it to i assume the pipe comes down the wall and into the slab. house was built in the 90's. Can you suggest some remedies? Costs?

Old 12-15-08, 03:21 PM
Don't assume!!! Does the pipe go down into the slab, if unsure, it may be prudent to cut a hole in the drywall(in the heater area) to find out. This would also determine if there is a leak that has not exposed itself outside of the wall cavity. If it does not go into the slab, and there is no evedence of a leak, not sure what to suggest, it could just be the pipe. If it goes into the floor and no signs of a leak, time to dig, or call in an expert. It is possible that is just the warm pipe heating the surrounding surface.

Old 12-16-08, 02:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Turn off all the fixtures in the house and watch your water meter to see if it's spinning. Any leak in hot or cold supply pipes will show up as "running" water.

It may be that the hot water pipe is leaking... or it could just be the hot water pipe heating up the cement around it, much like an in-floor radiant heat system would.