How to install tub spout/shower/hand held shower combination

Old 12-15-08, 01:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to install tub spout/shower/hand held shower combination

Hi,

I am installing a tub/shower with three outlets (Tub spout, Overhead shower, and hand held shower). I am using Grohe products. I have all the material but not sure how it should be connected. I have part (diverter???) made with brass, with four ports. Instruction is not clear to me. Is there any diagrams I can refer to, like where all should be connected? Thank you for your help.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-08, 03:12 PM
Grohe usually supplies detailed instructions with the faucets, so I don't wuite understand your question. The diverter changes the water flow from shower/tub to hand-held. If not clearly marked, there should be clear instructions. If you have better than basic knowledge of plumbing, it should be fairly clear how it should be connected. If not, consult a plumber.

Old 12-16-08, 11:54 AM
Dear Just Bill,

I expected to receive more friendly advice from expert moderators in this forum. I think I have more than basic knowledge about plumbing but I never installed this unit anddo not want to make any mistakes. Isn't this site for non-professional DIYer? If I wanted to consult with a plumber, why would I write to this forum?

Anyway, if anyone who is willing to give me advice or point to me a website with more helpful information, I would appreciate it. The instruction for this device (Pressure Balance Balve) is filled with many specific trade terms like NPT, CxC, etc., and detailed diagram of parts, which does not help me at all. It obviously was written for professionals. I was looking for simple diagrams about which port is for hot or cold, and to showerer head or hand held device. It also says that this device is not for low pressure displacement heater. What does this mean? Thank you in advance for your advice.

Kevin

Old 12-16-08, 03:30 PM
I apoligize for ticking you off, but plumbing is only a DIY thing if you know what you are doing. Plumbing involves things that, if not done correctly, can have devastating consequences. That is why most areas have rigid plumbing codes, requiring only licensed plumber to do the work. Live in homeowners are often allowed to do their own work, but you still have to have a permit and it has to be inspected.

NPT=National Pipe Thread, an American measurement for thread size. There are lots of DIY type books at home and hardware stores that can educate and inform about plumbing specifics, you might pick one up.

Old 12-18-08, 11:34 AM
Dear Just Bill,

Apology is not necessary at all. While I agree with you that code, whether it is plumbing, electrical, or structual, should be followed, I have to disagree these works must have permit and be inspected by the authority. That may the law but I really doubt the law is being followed or enforced. It is not reallistic at all. If that is the case, then all these "big box" stores will be out of business. Also, what could be the devastaing consequences if I make a mistake installing a shower head? Maybe flooding in the house? Anyway, thank you for your comments.

Kevin

Last edited by bc9ltjj; 12-18-08 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-18-08, 03:20 PM
Hmmmmm, let's see what might go wrong. The water is inches or feet deep on the floor, and outlets trips a breaker and the gas pilots go out, you step up to the breaker panel standing in water , reach up to the panel and are instantly fried with 400A of electricity, the resulting flames ignite the gas and the house explodes, starting fires all over the neighborhood and killing your family.

Do what you want.

Old 12-18-08, 04:46 PM
OK kids, lets stop the bickering here. There is no need for anyone to be rude to anyone else and can be a reason to get banned from the site.

Now,

If the model number to the Grohe valve is available, it would be appreciated.

Typically, You have the tub/shower valve, tub spout, and shower head, as standard parts for the tub.
If the spout has a pull up type diverter in it, that is what controls the tub spout and when pulled, it sends the water to the shower head.

If there is no pull up diverter on the tub spout, there should be one on the tub valve to control the shower head.

Most hand head showers are an add on item and are connected at the shower head, outside the wall, but before the shower head. Usually a diverter is added at that point which is where you will connect the hand held spray to, and the shower head will also connect back to it.

That is the basics without knowing more about what exact products we are dealing with. If you cannot give me all the model numbers used, please try to get me some pictures and I will be glad to continue helping you out.

If you need help with pictures, just ask.

Old 12-18-08, 09:55 PM
Dear Plumbingods,

I aplogize if my post offended anyone. As usual, your friendly and encouraging advice is really appreciated. After reading your reply, i once again laid out all the supplies from the plumbing supply store. They apparently forgot to give the diverter for the shower head and hand-held spray. Now it is clear what I need to do. If there is a leak, I will shut off the main valve before any catastrophe occurs. Thank you again for your help. I will remember there is no such word as "CANT."

Kevin