Water meter connection question...

Old 12-18-08, 05:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water meter connection question...

Hey Gang-
I am replacing my old iron supply pipes w/ some new copper lines. My water meter is newer and the connection is a 5/8" compression fitting. I have 3/4 pipe running across the house to the kitchin, bathroom, water heater and boiler.

When connecting to the water meter do I just use standard 1/2" (5/8" OD) copper pipe in the compression fitting? Is there anything else I should know before working on the meter?

Also, this may be a simple question, but, do I need to run the 3/4" pipe across the house still? I ask because the meter uses 1/2 pipe. I think I should run the 3/4" but just wanted to ask.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-08, 12:44 PM
Received 21 Votes on 17 Posts
I'm going to want to see a picture (or several) because using a compression coupling on a water service is an alien idea to me.

It is common to install 5/8 inch water meters for residential service. You should use the 3/4 inch copper all the way to the meter.

Old 12-18-08, 04:28 PM
I agree with Furd here, a picture would do us a lot of good.

Where I am from, I never see meter connections with less than a 3/4" connection and I highly recommend increasing the pipe size immediately after the hook-up of the meter to 3/4" pipe

Old 12-19-08, 01:32 PM
Received 21 Votes on 17 Posts
I've seen a lot of 5/8 inch water meters, some with 1/2 inch male pipe thread tailpieces and some with 3/4 inch MPT tailpieces, but I have never seen a water meter with a 5/8 inch compression fitting. Sometimes the MPT tailpiece will connect to a flared adapter and I suppose there are cases where there might be something like a Dresser coupling, but a regular compression fitting? Nope.

Old 12-20-08, 03:20 AM
I'm gonna have to look closer I guess. Maybe I can upload a pic... I don't know water meters, but I think this is marked 5/8 and it looks like a 1/2" cu pipe inserted thru a packing nut. Maybe it is an adaptor of sorts coupled to the water meter...

This is why I ask before I open! I'll look closer this afternoon and report back back monday (we don't have internet at the house)

Thank you.