Installing new drain pipe

Old 12-20-08, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing new drain pipe

I am installing a new drain pipe to all the sinks in my house. The drain will be comming out of the wall. What is the standard height from the floor to the drain at the wall?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-08, 05:44 PM
I think it's 18"-24",but not absolutely sure,i left my plumbing book at work.It's definitely
somewhere between these.

Old 12-21-08, 12:57 PM
Typical standard residential rough-in measurements are:

18" for lav drains
21" for lav supplies
18" for kitchen sinks
21" for K/S supplies

Old 12-27-08, 08:12 AM
Now I am confused. I recently had master plumbers re-do my bathroom. They installed new toilet, shower, vent and stack. I decided to pass on them doing the sink since I thought I could do it myself, but I did have them run new drain and inlet lines and put them in the wall.

The bottom of the drain line (1.5 inch PVC) is 19.5 inches off the floor. The bottom of my sink basin is 23 inches off the floor. The drain itself sticks out 6 inches below the bottom of the bowl (17 inches off the floor), which from any physics I understand will mean that water will always be sitting in my drain pipe, correct? I would think to clear the drain and have pressure to push the water through the trap, the drain pipe coming out of the wall should be lowered considerably.

What is it that I can't understand here? I've been to Lowe's and Home Depot and both store's "experts" have told me that my draining set up will not work as it now stands, and my drain at the wall should be lowered 12 inches, which would put it 7.5 inches off the floor. After reading the Plumbingods reply, I'm now more confused than ever. According to his reply my drain pipe is only 1.5 inches too high. Shouldn't the drain pipe coming out of the wall be low enough that water doesn't 'sit' in the basin drains? I would think this would rot out standard metal drains.

FWIW, I'm looking to install a dual sink, with a central trap tying into the drain pipe coming out of the wall, then teeing to the two sink drains.

Old 12-27-08, 09:49 AM
I have been installing sinks for about 25 years now and a;most allways rough the plumbing for sinks as stated previously.

Sometimes you can get away with 20" Usually for a kitchen sink, bar sink, or mop sink.

Could you take a picture of the pipe coming out of the wall and the sink in place, and the parts you are using. I think what is happening here is you either have some weird kind of sink that will require special rough in dimensions or someone is giving you the wrong parts to hook the sink up with

Old 12-28-08, 07:02 AM
I think I am starting to understand my problem. To save some $$$, I resurfaced my old vanity and I am trying to re-use it. Looking at newer vanities, they seem to run from 34" in height to 37". My setup is only 30" to the top of the countertop.

My guess is your 18" rough in is for newer 34-37" vanities, where as my 19.5" rough in is too high for my 30" vanity. So I probably need to lower my output from the wall to about 12-14 inches. Does this sound right?

Thanks,
John

Old 12-28-08, 07:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
> "The drain itself sticks out 6 inches below the bottom of the bowl "

Would a shorter tailpiece solve you problem?

Old 12-28-08, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
>
Would a shorter tailpiece solve you problem?

It would definitely help. I'll have to look to see if I can find a 'stubby' drain, or consider sawing off the bottom couple of inches of the one I have.

Thanks,
John

Old 12-28-08, 06:59 PM
The last 4" of the drain going through the sink is called the tailpiece. If it is metal, it should be removable and you can cut it to length needed. If it is plastic, you can also cut it but it will not be removable