What is this thing? Can I repair it - it leaks?

Old 12-21-08, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is this thing? Can I repair it - it leaks?

The water supply to the drip irrigation system here has a back flow preventer and what I think is some kind of testing setup attached. The thing circled in the picture leaks from the bottom at a steady drip-drip-drip. Water is expensive and precious here in Tucson so I was hoping someone can tell me exactly what it is and if it can be rebuilt.

Thanks for any help!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-08, 02:29 PM
looks like a vacuum breaker to me. I would take it to my local hardware/home improvement store and get a new one. They are not that pricey like 20-25 bucks

Old 12-22-08, 03:39 PM
Well, you have stumped the plumbingods on this one . I have installed many back flow preventors and have never seen that item. I would just put the test **** back on and leave that other part out but available, in case it is needed by the irrigation guys or the water dept.

I am not familiar with the insignia on that item either. Could you possibly take more pics of it front and back and see if we can find more numbers or something. If we can figure out who makes it, I should be able to get some answers for you.

Old 12-23-08, 05:20 PM
Stumped the band, LOL. Thanks for the replys guys.

I already put a nylon plug in the port this was screwed into and will keep it handy for whoever may need it. I have never seen anything like this at the big box stores, but we do have plumbing supply stores here, just not very handy to my side of town.

I left it out in the garage but will take another look at it and pictures after the Christmas madhouse settles down. Thanks again!

Old 12-28-08, 01:52 PM
More pics

I played around with the macro setting on the camera I got for Christmas last year. It takes very good closeups!
Here is the body of the thing I'm trying to identify. It has the same markings on both sides.

[IMG][/IMG]

And here is a closeup of the top. The top looks like it screws off.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for looking.

edit: it is 3"H X 1"D.

Last edited by rrgone; 12-28-08 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added dimensions.
Old 12-28-08, 06:51 PM
I found it !!!!!!!!!

I found it

The CII on the valve made me think of Conbracco Industries Inc., which I guess is the same as Apollo

http://www.apollovalves.com/_product...pv/IOM_FPV.pdf

http://www.apollovalves.com/_product.../TS_30-000.pdf

http://www.apollovalves.com/_product...0-000_1048.pdf

This should give you all the info needed. It is a freeze protection device. I saw one similar on the Watts web site, but now that I found the exact match I feel better.

Old 12-28-08, 07:06 PM
Uh oh

Looks like I better put it back in place until the weather warms up. It's been down into the mid-20s at night here lately. Thanks very much for your help!

Old 03-12-10, 04:42 AM
How do I take the cap off ?

I have the exact same problem with the unit leaking even when it is warm. I was told that I could clean the inside of the valve but having a hard time taking the brass cap off.

Any suggestions on removing the brass cap ?

Thanks.

Old 03-12-10, 04:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Pipe wrench I would imagine; you can just see the flats on the sides for wrenching. Not sure how much spring pressure it will have on it, so I'm not sure how dangerous disassembly will be.

May also need a second wrench for holding the body to prevent possible pipe damage.