Plumbing 101 question

Old 12-23-08, 09:51 AM
Plumbing 101 question

Hello All,

We will be redoing our upstairs bathroom in the Spring and have this question in anticipation of that. Right now, the bathroom has a large vanity with a single sink. Considering a vanity with dual sinks but obviously only have the plumbing for 1 sink.....or do I? Question is can I run 2 sinks off the existing 1 sink plumbing? Not wanting to involve a plumber and if I would have to in order to do the 2nd sink, I'll probably just stay with a 1 sink vanity.

Thanks for your replies and Happy Holidays!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-08, 10:55 AM
In short yes you can use 1 sink plumbing for 2 sinks. Water in is just a matter of a tee in the line to run to the 2nd sink. 2nd drain would also be the same situation as long as the vent is kept above where the drains tie together. Depending on the size of the drain pipes and the amount of water in the sink the sinks may drain slowly if you try to drain both at the same time.

Old 12-23-08, 11:19 AM
I recently added a new bathroom and originally I was going to put a single vanity however I ended up going with a double vanity. As previous poster said I just used some tee's to split the hot and cold. And for the drain that was coming out of the floor I put tee and elbows to split that as well, because my cabinet had drawers in the middle.. I kept all the drain work underneath the cabinet in the toekick area and just drilled two holes in bottom of cabinet for the drain pipes to go down.

If i get around to it i can snap a couple pictures over the holiday.

Old 12-23-08, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by pogue1000 View Post
I recently added a new bathroom and originally I was going to put a single vanity however I ended up going with a double vanity. As previous poster said I just used some tee's to split the hot and cold. And for the drain that was coming out of the floor I put tee and elbows to split that as well, because my cabinet had drawers in the middle.. I kept all the drain work underneath the cabinet in the toekick area and just drilled two holes in bottom of cabinet for the drain pipes to go down.

If i get around to it i can snap a couple pictures over the holiday.
Thanks for your responses! Pics would be great if you find the time to take and post them. And just curious. On the water supply lines, did you do the split AFTER the shutoff valve?

Old 12-24-08, 12:16 AM
The proper way to split the water would be cutting the tees before the existing shut off valves and adding new valves for the second sink. Not 100% necessary though.

The drain gets a little more complicated if you want it done correctly, and for it to work.

What type of piping are you hooking up to? (PVC, Copper, Galvanized, Etc.).

Is the pipe coming from in the wall or floor?
If coming from the wall, do you know if it is vented properly?

Will you be opening any walls or can you open the wall that the vanity is going on?

I know the size of the drain on the vanity will be 1-1/4" but what size is the pipe in the wall or floor? 1-1/2 ID or 2" ID? If it is a copper drain it could be 1-1/4" ID.

Old 12-28-08, 05:54 AM
Originally Posted by plumbingods View Post
The proper way to split the water would be cutting the tees before the existing shut off valves and adding new valves for the second sink. Not 100% necessary though.

The drain gets a little more complicated if you want it done correctly, and for it to work.

What type of piping are you hooking up to? (PVC, Copper, Galvanized, Etc.).

Is the pipe coming from in the wall or floor?
If coming from the wall, do you know if it is vented properly?

Will you be opening any walls or can you open the wall that the vanity is going on?

I know the size of the drain on the vanity will be 1-1/4" but what size is the pipe in the wall or floor? 1-1/2 ID or 2" ID? If it is a copper drain it could be 1-1/4" ID.
Thanks for your reply.

Answers to your questions.

Copper for supply lines, PVC for drain.

All piping coming from wall. Not sure if it is vented properly.

Wasn't planning on opening the wall to do the job but could if I had to.

Size of drain pipe out of the wall looks like a standard 1 1/2" ID. That is based on a visual and also having just gutted our 1/2 bath downstairs where I used 1 1/4" p trap connections.