Broken Shower Diverter Valve

Old 12-26-08, 02:27 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Broken Shower Diverter Valve

I'm replacing a diverter valve in a three valve shower/bath. The valves are american standard and the house is about 40 years old. I've bought the replacement stem, but the old stem is broken and half of the pieces are still in the valve body (vinyl end, diverter and probably one washer) I can't get these out. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

Old 12-26-08, 03:23 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you turn the water on will it push the pieces out? Will the water push them out for you?

Old 12-27-08, 07:30 PM
D
BEB,
Tried that with no luck. also tried needle-nose, nothing to grab; coat hanger through holes in fixture, did not budge; tapping with hammer to free up; same results. Have put the stem back in and adjusted to shower mode until I/someone think/s of something.
Thanks

Old 12-30-08, 08:18 AM
D
Extraction Accomplished!

For the information of anyone with a similar problem, the solution was to spray with WD-40 (some sort of calcium or scale remover would probably have been better) then use a screw tap (or nipple extractor will work). Screw in the extractor then beat like he... ck. Worked like a champ for the diverter, but you should use caution on a hot/cold valve as the seat can more easily be damaged.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: