water supply line repair?

Old 12-29-08, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water supply line repair?

We have a leak in our supply line between the meter and house. I found it but now don't know how to repair it. It looks like it's 1 1/2" outside diameter, galvanized or black pipe. It's leaking where two lengths were joined by a threaded sleeve, about 4" long.
I checked Home Depot and they have nothing for that diameter pipe. They recommended I try a certain plumbing supply house but it was closed on today. I'll try tomorrow. In the mean time I tried to repair it with a piece of garden hose held in place (don't laugh) with three hose clamps. The problem is the step up from the pipe to the sleeve.
Anyway, any ideas? Or, will the plumbing supply house have a solution.
I called a plumber and he said $3500 to replace the line (150') or $350-$400 if I find the leak. I could tell he really didn't want the work.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-08, 04:24 PM
I know in my area any underground fittings must be made for that specific purpose. They make special underground compression type couplings that may work for you.

You will need to know the type of pipe and be as close as possible to the correct size.

1-1/2" outside could be 1-1/4" or 1" piping depending on how clean the pipe is when measured. If it brass or galvanized, it is most likely 1" pipe. You will not find these fittings at a big box store.

You may need to use two couplings with a piece of pipe in between.

Old 12-29-08, 05:29 PM
supply repair

Thanks Mark! I'm hoping the supply house will have what I need.

Old 12-29-08, 05:36 PM
If you are not positive of the size, buy both and return the extra.

Old 12-30-08, 06:37 AM
connector

I was just told about a connector called Snake-Bite. It can be inserted on the end of the pipe and then pushed on the other pipe. My problem is that I won't be able to move either pipe. I'm hoping the plumbing supply house can advise.

Old 12-30-08, 02:33 PM
I do not know if shark bite fittings are approved for underground installations.

Old 12-30-08, 02:47 PM
I checked with the plumbing supply house and he said he didn't have anything to repair galvanized pipe and said I needed to replace it all with black poly. He also told me that he doubted it was 1 1/2" od pipe, and was probably 3/4". I tried to explain that I am familiar with a tape measure and did realize you usually refer to inside diameter.
I don't believe I would want to do business with him.

Old 12-30-08, 02:55 PM
Sometimes you need to go to a water supply specialty store for the parts needed. Call your water works dept and ask them for their suggestion.

Old 12-30-08, 03:28 PM
Dont panic over the small stuff

Bruce: I would bet that your service line is either a one inch line or a three quarter inch line. How you are describing the two pieces be joined by a sleeve is sort of close to accurate. I think what you are looking at is what is called a G Union. They come in galvanized, brass and PVC. They were specifically designed for repairing leaks in water lines. They have a rubber gasket on each end of them that compress when you tighten the nuts on the ends. The gaskets can be replaced real cheap. Just make sure when you take this apart that the pipe is fairly smooth where you make this connection back up. If I am way off here, try to post a picture and someone here will have you going in no time.

Old 12-30-08, 09:46 PM
wrmiii, that sounds just like the fitting I am thinking of, thank you.

As far as the pipe size is concerned, I am not there to measure or look at it to advise properly. I would say it is a min of 1" if he is measuring 1-1/2" o.d,