Long Washing Machine Drain Hose

Old 12-29-08, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Long Washing Machine Drain Hose

Our washer/dryer are in a 2nd floor closet. We're looking to replace them with front loaders but they are too deep, so we're thinking to stack them and turn them sideways so they would fit. But this means the back of the washer could be at least 10' away from the water lines and drain. I've seen 10' water line hoses online, but the drain hoses all seem to be only 5'. Is there a solution to running this drain longer than 5'? Is there anything bad about trying these options?

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-08, 04:30 PM
I think that is a manufacturers option as to how far there machine will pump. I think if you were to pump straight up, then across at a slight downward pitch, the horizontal distance would not be a problem.

Most washing machines today are rated to pump up to 8' in vertical height. Only pump as high as need be as it will put more stress on the pump. As far as the plumbing is concerned, the length of hose has no bearing on this.

You may want to post this question on the appliances forum also for more info.

Old 12-29-08, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I was not having much luck finding any washer drain hoses longer than 4 to 5'. What is the best way to run this for 10'?

Old 12-29-08, 06:04 PM
I am pretty sure HD sells that size washing machine pipe. You may need to do a little "MacGyver-ing" to make it work.

Just use some insert fittings like the ones used for well pipe with some hose clamps. That is what I would do. Try not to restrict the pipe I.D. to much.