Noisy Hot Water Faucet

Old 12-29-08, 08:38 PM
Noisy Hot Water Faucet

I have a two handle kitchen faucet system that everytime I turn on the hot water, it whistles/makes noise. Now, I know something is loose because if I wiggle it a certain way, it'll stop - momentarily.

I read something online that indicates it might be a loose valve stem. Whatever the case may be, I'm hoping someone can give me some direction to make it stop. My building mgr is away and I need to make this cursed noise stop.

Cheers.
JCH

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-08, 04:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Quite often a noisy water valve is caused by a loose washer. Now, I don't know what type set up you have. You may have a cartridge or you may have a tapered washer. In any event, you could cut off the water to the hot and cold side (as some faucets have cross overs), remove the collar nut on the hot water side and inspect your situation. If it is a loose washer, tighten it up. If it is a cartridge set up, you may take it to a plumbing house, or big box store and match it up exactly and replace it. If a washer type, also check the seat to make sure it is clean of obstructions or burrs. Let us know how it goes or if we can help further.