Submersible water pump problem

Old 12-30-08, 05:28 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Submersible water pump problem

Evening everyone- I live in the country and have a submersible well pump ( 4 wire- green-black-red-yellow ) wiring coming out of the pump. For some reason my system will not keep up to the houshold flow. when the pressure is at its highest ( 60psi ) it is fine, when the house draws water and the pressure drops to the low point ( 40psi ) the low water cut-off switch will click in but the pump wont keep up to the flow within the home. I have pulled the pump and have noticed that the pump is only revolving about 15 or 20 revolutions per minute. has anybody got an answer on this. I have checked the wireing and all seems fine. Thanks in advance

Old 12-30-08, 08:28 PM
15 or 20 rpm? It should be turning way to fast for you to see. Dry running the pump is not a good idea.
It sounds like the pump may be going bad or, you may have a capacitor going bad.
You well may be the one not giving you enough water. You may have a low producing well, and not a bad pump.

When you put the control box back on, make sure the wires g back in the same spots.

The red wire will go on (R)...The black will go on (B)...The yellow will go on (Y) and the green is the ground. The wires have to go back this way, or the pump will not run.

Travis

Old 12-30-08, 08:29 PM
15-20 rpm wouldn't even pump water to the surface, what is the voltage at the pump?
you should be able to unscrew the nut holding the pump wires into the motor and probe the ends for voltage, if the voltage is at rated voltage you most likely have a motor problem. what depth is the pump and well, what hp rating pump?

Murphy was an optimist

Old 12-30-08, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Speedwrench
you should be able to unscrew the nut holding the pump wires into the motor and probe the ends for voltage,

On a three wire pump, that will not give you an accurate voltage reading. On a three wire, the will not be voltage on all three wires.

The black and red start it, and the black and yellow run it.
That is why a three wire pump has a control box. The capacitor starts it, and the relay switches the pump from start to run.

Travis

Old 12-31-08, 04:45 AM
H
Submersible well pump reply

The pump is a 1/4 hp submersible and the well is 11ft deep with lots of water. This system was in the house when I bought it. The pump is only 3 or 4 years old. I think maybe I got hit by lightning this past summer. Everything else seems ok. I will check the voltage at the pump and again at the pump switch and let you know. thanks for the reply... Barry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: