Kitchen reno, moving plumbing/vent

Old 01-01-09, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen reno, moving plumbing/vent

Hey guys, great site. Have a few questions.

It might be a shot in the dark but here goes. We ripped out our existing kitchen, and are replacing the base cabinets. This is how the plumbing was routed before. It appears that is the vent stack but it jets out from the wall and isn't drilled through the sil plate in the wall, instead they angled it out of the wall and brought it down into the basement in front of the wall.

Do you think the plumber was lazy or was there a reason he brought the pipe out of the wall on an angle?

I want to try and redo the piping because I will have to really cut up the back of our new cabinets to make it fit.

On the same note, can I move the connection to the vent stack lower to the floor, basically add the T right at floor level, or is there a reason that its tied into the stack around 2ft from the floor?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-09, 04:53 PM
I agree that looks terrible, but I am not there to check into the wall and below the floor to see if there are some obstructions that caused the plumber or homeowner to pipe this the way they did. As far as the height of the branch is concerned, it must be at around 18-20 inches from the finished floor to be vented properly.

Cut open the wall behind where the pipe is so we can see if there are any problems, Also take measurements and research below the floor to see if there was a reason for not putting the pipe in the wall.

Old 01-02-09, 09:35 PM
thanks for the reply.

I poked around in the basement and while it is tight down there (heating duct running right beside the ABS) there was enough room for the original installer to have brought it down through the sil plate inside the wall. I can move it myself into the wall no problem, which will give me some more room and prevent me from butchering some of the cabinets.

From your reponse it looks like I am stuck with the height at where it is T'd into the vent/drain right now correct? I assume it has to do with proper draining, so lowering the T to floor level to run it under the cabinets is a no go.

I can live with that, I just wanted to clarify first.

Old 01-02-09, 10:46 PM
Can I ask why you wan to lower the tee? Maybe I can help you out.

Old 01-03-09, 08:51 AM
I wanted to move the plumbing down so it could run under the new cabinets and back up into the sink cabinet, instead of having to notch out the drawer cabinet back, and the sink cabinet back as well. The cabinets are IKEA so construction of them is on the cheap side already, and I didn't want to have to butcher them really badly to slip over the plumbing.

Old 01-03-09, 09:31 AM
Open the wall behind the sink (where the piping is in front of now) and run the pipes in that wall. You can go up to 5' from the vent to the trap.

Old 01-03-09, 09:36 AM
thanks for the feedback. Does it matter if its an exterior wall? It is insulated but its an exterior wall to our front porch area so it will be cold in winter.

Old 01-03-09, 09:41 AM
It does not matter for drainage lines, just water feed lines. Run the water lines through the bottom of the cabinet if possible.