Any bad experiences with SharkBite connectors?

Old 01-04-09, 01:12 PM
Any bad experiences with SharkBite connectors?

I ran a 1/2" copper water line from my basement out to a spigot that's within my garage - about a 20 ft run with a T, elbow, gatevalve and drain. Ran it just behind a 2x10 that runs along the garage/house wall (just above the block). Was gonna solder all connections, but saw ShartBite connectors at HD and the the sales guy it's legal and they work (he had a demo T with Cu, Pex, and some other type connected into it). A couple of days after the install, the pipe froze a bit, even though it's run within the wall. Figuring it was cold air coming in from the blocks somehow, I took the whole thing apart, installed good insulation on it, and re-installed it all... no flames... just connected it all together using the SharkBite connectors... no leaks at all.

But now I wonder about 5, 10, 15, 20 yrs later... will these things last? Anyone have any info on their long term reliability? They worked fantastically when installing everything, and I couldn't imagine having to un-install/re-install it all using solder connectors...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-09, 01:42 PM
been using them around the job for stuff awhile now, so far very good luck rumor has it 20+ yr life span. as long as not disturbed.

Murphy was a optimist

Old 01-04-09, 03:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's scary that something that simple can do a job like that. I have had no failures, and like the ability to remove them. I keep a few termination ends in my truck in case I come across a situation where stopping the water while allowing normal household functions to continue until I get back with the right stuff.

Old 01-05-09, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I saw those termination ends too - unbelievable, but it all works. :-)

Old 01-05-09, 03:29 PM
Old school, have never used them, but all the things I hear are good. Even Rich on 'this old house' uses them, and praises them.

As an engineer in a previous life, i wonder that the o-rings will hold up over time. I have to assume that has all ben factored into the design. 20 yrs in plumbing life is not really a long time.

Old 01-07-09, 05:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by craftydad View Post
(he had a demo T with Cu, Pex, and some other type connected into it).
PVC or CPVC (for hot pipes) is the other.

In a building I maintain, there is a leak at such a fitting inside the fountain. The inside is never accessed/disturbed, and has a cover panel over it. And I can't get the darn thing to release, without perhaps an assistant, so I gave up for now and shut it off since there are many other drinking fountains next to it and nearby.

Ya. The 20 year guarantee thing bothers me also. Especially considering that I work on houses even from the 1860's. Look at how many 20 years fit into that.

Could you imagine such plumbing in a basement and kids start doing chin-ups on it? , again.

Old 01-07-09, 06:26 PM
I think it is a great SERVICE fitting, but not good for a complete new plumbing job. I also am still a little worried about the o-rings or the stainless clip on the inside of the fitting. It needs more time.