Toilet won't flush

Old 01-08-09, 10:26 AM
Toilet won't flush

HELP!!! OMG i am at my wits end as to what to do. When flushing the toilet, the bowl fills up to the rim but doesn't flush. There is not swirl in the water at all. When the flap is lowered and the tank starts to fill, the water in the bowl slowly starts to drain out. My husband took the toilet out and flushed the pipe without any problems. He also went ontop of the house and flushed out that drain also without any problems. He reassembled the toilet and poof! instantly the bowl filled up and almost overflowed, but no swirl and no flush. Can someone give me any ideas as to what else we can try? My husband wants to replace to toilet, but i want to make sure there isn't a simple fix to this problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-09, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
Did you use a toilet auger on the toilet itself? Any kids in the house? Any chance something got knocked into the bowl?

When you say flushed out the pipe...what was used? Snake, power snake, garden hose?

An older toilet will dump 3.5- 5 gallons of water down the drain in maybe 20-30 seconds....running a hose can't really equal that. Sometimes you can take a bucket and rapidly pour it down to get the same effect and test the drain.

I've actually tested a toilet by carefully setting it on blocks, filling the tank with water and flushing it. If it works fine, then the problem is in the house piping.

Old 01-08-09, 05:23 PM
Sounds to me like a good plunging, or a closet auger is needed here.

Old 01-09-09, 03:55 PM
We tried plunging, we ran water through the line with a wate hose and we rented an electric snake and ran it through the main line, through the line under the toilet also. i'm not sure what an auger is, so i can't say that we've tried that

Old 01-09-09, 04:04 PM
A toilet or closet auger is a 3'-4' snake designed just for toilets. I am saying the problem sounds like it is in the toilet and needs to be augered or removed and try running sa hose backwards through the toilet trapway. Look into the passageways of the toilet with a mirror. Sometimes I run the auger through, then tie a rag to the end of the auger and pill it back out.

Also check the jets to make sure they are not clogged. Check the large one at the bottom of the bowl for obstructions.

Old 01-09-09, 05:06 PM
For sure the toilet trap's obstructed. If snaking from the bowl side doesn't go, lift the toilet once again and snake into the toilet from other side.

Also, since we know the blockage comes before the toilet seal, you can safely plunge hard without breaking the wax seal. Seriously yank the plunger like you're trying to rip the toilet off the floor.

Old 01-09-09, 07:47 PM
That is very true about the plunging Kobuchi.

The problem is most people don't know enough to buy a good plunger with a force cup on the bottom, not like those wimpy old red plungers. Once you have a good plunger, you push, pull, push, pull, while plunging. You get dual action that way and move things around much more.
I have once even removed a pen from a toilet using just a plunger, which is almost unheard of.