Second stack for second bathroom?

Old 01-10-09, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Second stack for second bathroom?

Hello All,

Two story stone house with only one bathroom on second floor. Want to add second floor bathroom on second floor, but new bathroom, though it would be opposite the existing bathroom, is still a good distance from the stack - multiple plumbers say hooking up to it would require tearing up the floor of the existing bathroom AND there is too much distance for a proper slope of the pipes so it would require some creativity. Two reputable plumbers told me I'm looking at $10-15k in plumbing alone and not to bother.

Given that it cannot be connected to the existing stack, what about adding a new stack and vent for the new bathroom. We have access to the interior walls on all floors and could tie in the waste in the basement (though a bloody big stone beam is in the way - still ignore that).

Seems if I can sort this out I might be able to do a lot of the work myself - demo, drilling, digging... and leave the serious plumbing to a plumber.

Any thoughts? Am I nuts?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-09, 05:11 PM
Hello and welcome to DIY

Of course you can add another bathroom using a separate stack and vent. The vent will only need to be 1-1/2" unless different than IPC code, such as Mass code.

When done properly, you will need only one vent called a bathroom group wet vent. Then the new 3" drain will be run to the basement and connected downstream of any 1st floor fixtures so you do not affect there venting systems.

Old 01-11-09, 09:18 AM
Thanks! My wife and always I joke about how this old house just fights you every time you want to do something. I am starting to realize that the fight can be won, but only with a lot of work and/or $$$ or both. I thought the drain had to be 4"? I can check that here - we have ancient plumbing codes here in Philly. My plumber came from Seattle and said he had to relearn almost everything here.

One more dumb question please? It sure would be nice to not have to tear up any first floor walls. Is it often or ever done where a new drain from the second floor to basement can be installed either from above or below thereby avoiding demo on the first floor?

Old 01-11-09, 12:05 PM
Unless your local town or city codes supersede, 3" piping is fine for a single bathroom, It is actually large enough for even more fixtures. The reason for this change is the way we vent things today combined with lower water consumptions in the fixtures, especially the toilets..

Whether or not you can snake a pipe into the wall between the first and second floor is totally dependent on the structural design of your walls.
Quite often a place to run a new stack is in a 1st floor closet or sometimes in the wall behind a tub/shower unit.

Of course another option would be to place the pipe in a corner and box it in afterward.

Old 01-23-09, 06:08 PM
wet vent distance regulations

I'ts been some time since I did any REAL plumbing but I recall there being a specific distance from the main stack according to state regs. I think it's 25' but it may b different from one state to another . Like I said it's been a few years...hope this is helpful.

Old 01-25-09, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by SeaBee View Post
I'ts been some time since I did any REAL plumbing but I recall there being a specific distance from the main stack according to state regs. I think it's 25' but it may b different from one state to another . Like I said it's been a few years...hope this is helpful.
Hello,

I do not quite understand what exactly you are talking about here. Could you be more specific, or did I just leave my brain at home today?

Thanks

Old 01-25-09, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by SeaBee View Post
are you talking about the distance from the vent a pipe can run?