Cheap flaring tool problem

Old 01-12-09, 06:19 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cheap flaring tool problem

I bought an inexpensive flaring tool at the local hardware store to do a couple flares. Unfortunately, on the trial flares I've done, the head of the tool slips even if I put a lot of hand pressure to hold it onto the body of the tool, so the flare is at best lopsided.

I was able to do a clean flare if I stick the whole tool in the vice, but need to do the flare on an existing installed piece of pipe.

Here's a link the the tool, a Great Neck FT3C: Pipe Flaring Tool #FT3C by Great Neck Saw at HardwareAndTools.com.

Is there any way to get this tool to work or should I return it and find a better one?

Thanks much -

Chaz

Old 01-12-09, 09:00 AM
S
Great Neck tools are pretty low grade imported product.They are generally considered homeowner quality.I'd return it for another of the same before trying a higher priced unit unless you think you'll be using it fairly often.It may be the one you have and another one might do well enough for your needs.

Old 01-12-09, 10:57 AM
C
Thanks

I chatted with Great Neck's support line and they thought it might be that the tool isn't machined quite right, said I could swap it through their support or I could take it back to the store if I can't get it to work.

I was able to get one clean trial flare after the phone call, hink I could proably take a flat file to the notches and get it to hold more reliably, but I decided to get a better tool as I'll be working on a gas pipe and I'd rather not risk having to cut the pipe a second time to try to get it right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: