water line to refrigerator frozen

Old 01-16-09, 04:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

The water line to the refrigerator is frozen. I shut-off the water supply to that line. Should I be concerned the line will burst when the temps rise? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-09, 05:25 AM
Originally Posted by Len22 View Post
The water line to the refrigerator is frozen. I shut-off the water supply to that line. Should I be concerned the line will burst when the temps rise? Thanks.
Typically lines rupture upon freezing because water expands. Therefore depending on the severity of the freeze, the damage may already be done, and you may have a leak when the line thaws. Having said that, it depends on what kind of line you have. Plastic is sometimes forgiving, but copper will burst. I'd certainly find out why it froze to begin with.
BE CAREFUL if you try to thaw it out!!

Old 01-16-09, 06:13 AM

The difference between plastic and copper makes we want to ask a question -

I have a braided stinless steel line to my icemaker. I assume it is plastic, but have never taken it apart. Is is just plastic with armor and a better connection system?

I am in Minnesota where it is currently -22F, but usually everything is designed and protected from the weather, but the post made me interested. - burried power from the substation and natural gas heat, so outages only happen once every 10-20 years and are short.

Dick