Frozen kitchen drain?

Old 01-16-09, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frozen kitchen drain?

Hi D.I.Y.'S
I live in Wisconsin and right now it's -16 outside. The drain doesn't drain, before i get the hair dryer out and try to unfreeze
the trap, do you think it's frozen?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-09, 07:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Drains, generally don't freeze unless there is standing water, such as in a ptrap. What is the temperature under your cabinet? Does the drains lead to an outside the house drain and vent?

Old 01-16-09, 09:13 AM
The drain is for a double sink with a garbage disposal, but anyway under the sink it's about in the 50's (my guess) the drain goes threw an outside wall, then into the basement (55*). My guess is it's either clogged or frozen. I read that the trap is the only thing that has standing water in it (to block sewer smell) is that right.

Old 01-16-09, 01:46 PM
Frozen Drain?

"the drain goes threw an outside wall, then into the basement"

If the really goes THROUGH the outside wall it could be frozen, otherwise it is clogged, luck

Old 01-16-09, 04:07 PM
If drain goes through outside wall and it's frozen, that's likely the location of where it's frozen. You can try defrosting with hair dryer where drain enters the wall, and you can also do the same where pipe enters basement below. You could try pouring some hot (not boiling) water down the drain.

Keep cabinet doors open so heat can circulate during times where temps are dipping below freezing for periods of time. Warm up the room by increasing the temperature. Bake something in the oven to increase temperature even more. Drains typically don't freeze unless slow or clogged. As you say, the only water should be in the trap, not the drain.