Frozen Kohler Shower Valve

Old 01-16-09, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frozen Kohler Shower Valve

Do it yourselfer with a pretty good track record. Installed a Kohler shower valve in 2002 and I have had pretty good luck with it, but it got down to -24 last night here and the shower valve froze. I am pretty sure it's the valve itself because when I operate it, no water at all came out, neither hot or cold. I opened the valve and applied heat to the front surface of the valve body. After about an hour, a trickle of water began flowing through the valve. After about two hours, the shower valve is still just trickling. Wondering if the valve itself is now damaged. Opinions?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-09, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Just an opinion...as you asked. Take the coverplate off and look for any water leakage after the valve is flowing freely. If no leakage, the valve is probably fine. I bet it wasn't the valve, but the pipes leading to it which are exposed to the cold somewhere.

Old 01-16-09, 01:35 PM
Thanks, man. That would definitely be my first thought too, but given the fact that I actually installed the shower myself, I do know that the pipes leading to the valve are insulated, but the wall in which the valve is mounted is a 2 X 4 outside wall and the valve is a little over 3 1/2 inches deep. The back of the valve rests against the inside of the exterior wall's sheathing. No room for insulation. Not the optimum installation and I did sweat through the first winter with it. Like most things, since nothing happened the first few years, I pretty much forgot about that little fact nugget until last night.
So far, after about 4 hours, no water leakage into the wall, but still just a trickle of water through the valve.

Old 01-16-09, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well, I guess it could have busted something in the cartridge itself come to think of it. Most have a bunch of plastic, not as strong as the brass of the valve itself. A trickle of anything should have thawed it out by now. Prob time to pull that cart and replace if required.

Old 02-04-09, 07:48 AM
Frozen Crow

Okay, just wanted to post to close this out. My wife told me it was frozen. Her father told me it was frozen. Her mother told me it was frozen. Finally, after calling a plumber and telling him to bring replacement parts for the Kohler valve, the plumber told me the valve was frozen. The shower valve was frozen. Lots of leftover crow to eat here.

Old 02-13-09, 06:48 PM
Frozen Crow

Here in Atlanta, also had a Kohler valve freeze, resulting in
a water leak (house being renovated and without heat).
The entire valve has to be replaced at a cost from $75 (internet) and up. I was shocked with the cost of the replacement valve.