Relief Valve has a slow leak

Old 01-16-09, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Relief Valve has a slow leak

My relief valve is a Flotec Relief Valve. This evening my well house got below freezing and the joint the relief valve is attached to froze up. It wasn't froze for no longer than thirty minutes. I had a heater in my well house but some reason it wasn't working. At any rate, the joint thawed in a matter of minutes and afterwards the relief valve that is set for 75 psi started leaking because after the water unfroze my tanks built up 70 psi according to the regulator. I have the pressure back to normal around 50 - 55 and still the relief valve has a very slow drip. Will it stop or is that relief valve a one time deal and i have to replace it, or can i turn the set screw back tight again. I don't want to risk turning it if it will ruin it. it's late and i don't want a major problem where i have to shut down pumps tonight.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-09, 05:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Did the same thing this morning at 4 degrees (in the South). My heat tape died so the pitot tube froze up. Hair dryer and it was going in 5 minutes. But the relief valve dripped for a few minutes. If yours is still dripping, and no more than they cost, I would go ahead and replace it. It has been stressed by the ice, and may not work properly when it is needed.

Old 01-17-09, 05:47 AM
Even though it may have only been frozen for a short time, it sounds like it has ruined the valve and needs replacement. It either has caused dirt to enter the valve or, when it froze, it caused the valve to become slightly distorted and will not seal properly now.

Those valves are very inexpensive. Just replace it instead of taking a chance of a larger problem in the future.

Old 01-24-09, 12:25 PM
Question Can't Find Part

I am trying to find the part that I need to replace. I know its a max 75 psi relief valve. I go to a hardware store and they tell me I need a pop off valve but it isn't anything like what I have. What everyone tries to sell me is for water heaters. I've even showed pictures of it and still no help. Do you have any idea where I can order the part I need.

It needs to be a 1 inch that hooks up to the t after the regulator to 3/4. Home depot has one you can order off website but its 1/2 to 3/4. the link to that so you can get an idea of what it looks like is:
Flotec Relief Valve 1/2 In. Pressure Control - TC2160 at The Home Depot

If you would like me to take a digital picture of the problem I can do so.
Any more help is appreciated. My slow leak is turning into a faster one. =)

Old 01-24-09, 01:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
here is what you are looking for and a plumbing supply house might have them in stock

Watts: 53 | Pressure-Only Relief Valves | Water Safety & Flow Control