cheaper alternetive for slop sink drain pump

Old 01-23-09, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cheaper alternetive for slop sink drain pump

I need to install a slop sink in the basement so that i don't have to clean paint brushes and stuff in the kitchen sink. The problem is the line to the septic is about 5' off the floor. I see home depot has pumps for this purpose but they cost ~$200 and up. link Can I use a simple sump pump in a 5 gallon pail? Are ther other cheaper alternatives out there. The thing i wory about is junk ends up down the drain like brush bristles will the $200 pumps be protected against this?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-09, 05:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Whatever you do, don't introduce paints or other solvent based items into the septic/sewer system. These constitute hazardous materials and could be forbidden in your locality, and certainly will kill enzymes in the septic system. This is not to mention clogging up pipes causing backups in the system. If you only do it occasionally, let it drain into a 5 gallon bucket, and dispose of it properly at your local landfill collection tanks.

Old 01-24-09, 07:24 AM
Some how i thought waterbased paints would be okay for the septic in small amounts.

Old 01-24-09, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
Ya, not a good idea at all to put latex paint into a septic.
Even though the pigments are carried by water they are still chemicals.

I am on a septic system and if I am unable to clean brushes outside as in the winter I use a one gallon pail to rinse the brushes and them pour this off into a five gallon pail.
This pail then gets dumped in a corner spot on my rural property.
Three or four rinses like this make the remaining paint residue on the brushes ok for my septic IMO.

I actually just finished painting my living room before xmas and had the paint slop pail sitting in a corner over the holidays.
When I went to dump it there was a layer of congealed paint scum stuck to the bottom which would have been in my septic if I had cleaned them in my sink.

As far as rollers go the price of disposable ones now make cleaning, especially on a septic system not worth it.

Old 01-24-09, 10:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
the paint should pass through a special trap like a plaster trap and/or go through a chemical wash/basin.

what you can and cant do is determined by what you have and what you want to do