drinking fountain surge

Old 01-24-09, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
drinking fountain surge

I recently brought an old drinking fountain back to life in a church building. We also put a everpure h-104 filter system on the supply. Now however when you first turn the handle you get a surge of water that goes three feet into the air for just a second, then it calms down and gives you a normal stream of water. If we choke down the shut off we stop the surge but you loose the arc of the water and would have to lick the bowl to get a drink. We also tried taking the filter system off line, and the problem goes away, but we have really rusty water and the client wants filtered water for the kiddies.
So what about the water filter is causing the surge? How do I correct it? Water pressure to the building is only 40 psi. We have bleed the system for 10-20 minutes but still no change. Sure seems like that surge could be caused by compressed air in my filter but I don't know how to fix this. I thought about putting a different filter on but these are $70 sealed cartridge carbon filters and I don't want to burn thru a few just to see what happens. I also though about putting an in line hammer arrestor after the filter but before the fountain. Would that work? Or putting a PRV in the same spot? Opinions anyone?

Thanks,

Paul, Seattle WA

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-09, 05:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Pressure is pressure. Where would you get "compressed air" in your filter? You should only have water pressure which is constant. I am not sure of the brand of the water fountain, but most have adjustments inside that will keep the water flow constant. Have you had the front cover off, yet? Look for an adjustment medium just after the inlet and let us know what you find.

Old 01-24-09, 11:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
you have a bad regulator.

no adjustment is going to stop or create a pressure surge

Old 01-26-09, 09:56 AM
If that is the case, then why does the problem go away when I take the water filter off line?

Old 01-26-09, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm not sure where your filter is installed but it should be pre regulator.
I'm thinking if it's post regulator this is what's causing this issue.

Please don't take this as an insult but, is the filter is hooked up with the proper flow direction?

Just a thought.

Old 01-26-09, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Hmm...no plumber or fountain expert...but I was just looking at the filter specs at their site. Says its regulated to .5 gal per minute....so it must have some sort of orifice or regulator type mechanism. Maybe it just doesn't play well with the guts of the water fountain?

Old 01-26-09, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the replies everybody. The filter is pre-regulator. We wondered if it was in backwards also, but no, we did it right.

We found a retrofit kit for the regulator, spout and bubbler and the new stuff is certified as lead free, unlike the 50's era brass. We are going for a overhaul of the fountain. Fingers crossed that this will solve the problems.