Clamping to 4" PVC

Old 01-24-09, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clamping to 4" PVC

I am tapping into my main indoor drain for a basement toilet. And I could use to banded clamps, however my preference would be to use a regular coupler on one side and a rubber on the other but getting the gap to zero is vituallly impossible. How big a gap is allowed when using a 4" banded clamp?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-09, 01:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
you should have no more than 1/4" at either end. you can take the band off the rubber, install the rubber to one side and roll it back onto itself tehn do the same on the other side of the fitting, install the fitting and un roll the rubber onto the otherr side of the connection then take the band apart and install it. you need only 1/4" clearance for this process. torque the bands down evenly to 60 inch pounds.

Old 01-24-09, 01:46 PM
Thx for the quick reply.
This is true if you are using rubber bands on both sides. How do you get one side in with glue (regular coupling and leave yourself a nice tight gap (1/4") on the other side?

Old 01-24-09, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by gsici View Post
Thx for the quick reply.
This is true if you are using rubber bands on both sides. How do you get one side in with glue (regular coupling and leave yourself a nice tight gap (1/4") on the other side?
If you cannot move either end of the pipe at all, you will not be able to use any glue in fittings at all. What I would recommend is using 2 Fernco style couplings, or 2 mission style couplings.

Fernco style couplings are a solid rubber coupling with only 2 stainless steel hose type clamps. The inside of the rubber is smooth and can be slid all the way onto the pipe ends. Then the section you are installing can be cut as close a possible and just slid into place. Then slide the rubber Fernco couplings back over the inserted piece, and tighten clamps. Make sure to pack dirt well under this connection when finished to stop any sagging from happening.

Mission style couplings are also solid rubber couplings, but have a stainless steel metal band all the way around the coupling with 2 stainless steel hose style clamps as above. Slide the metal bands over the existing pipes, or put them on later, it is your preference. Install the rubber couplings as stated earlier by pllumbermandan and tighten the clamps and pack dirt under the connection when done.
This procedure is completely to code and will outlive your lifetime if installed properly. Packing under the connections is very important.

Old 01-25-09, 01:02 PM
your explanation is correct but your terminollogy is not. fernco and mission are brand names. you have flexible couplings, rc series (with stainless band) and then you have no hub couplings. teh rc series and the no hub are also refered to as shielded couplings and that is what you want to install

here is the fernco site..i dont have missions site atm
http://www.progressivebrick.com/PDF%...RNCO%20min.pdf

Old 01-25-09, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by plumbermandan View Post
your explanation is correct but your terminollogy is not. fernco and mission are brand names. you have flexible couplings, rc series (with stainless band) and then you have no hub couplings. teh rc series and the no hub are also refered to as shielded couplings and that is what you want to install

here is the fernco site..i dont have missions site atm
http://www.progressivebrick.com/PDF%...RNCO%20min.pdf

Dan, I know those are brand names which are the names most people will find if they go to the store to buy them. That is why I called them Fernco "STYLE" and Mission "STYLE" fittings. This was a general term or brand to ask for. I also explained how each fitting is designed for even more reference.
"No-Hub" brand/style couplings should not even be mentioned here, as they are designed for a specific use, Cast Iron No Hub pipe and fittings, not PVC.

These forums are designed for the average Joe to be able to safely solve some issues within their homes and are not usually professionals that would know all the proper terminology.

Dan, if you have a problem with me, please keep it to private messages or you will be banned for abuse of rules and policies.

Thank you

Old 01-25-09, 03:18 PM
i know what these forums are and is why i was making sure they KNEW the proper terminology.

now if you have a problem with that then you are the one that needs to take it up in private or ban yourself

Old 01-25-09, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well, if I walked into a hardware store or Big Box and asked for an rc coupling or no hub coupling...I bet I'd get a blank stare.....

That says something about the help in those stores, but I don't think thats the point.

Play nice guys...we're all here to contibute and help people with problems, right? Simple is better wherever possible.

Old 01-25-09, 03:46 PM
you would be surprised. i have found that they may not know the codes and how things work but they know what they are called when they order parts